[Analysis] Derivative in Two Dimensions.

In summary, the conversation discusses a function f : ℝ2 -> ℝ that is defined on a neighborhood of a point c in ℝ2. The task is to prove that if the derivative in the direction of e1 exists and is continuous on a neighborhood of c, and D2f exists at c, then f is differentiable at c. The conversation also considers the sufficient condition for a function to be differentiable at a point and explores the idea of showing the continuity of D2f to prove differentiability. A specific example of a function is given to help narrow down possible approaches.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Let f : ℝ2 -> ℝ be some function that is defined on a neighborhood of a point c in ℝ2. If D1f (the derivative of f in the direction of e1) exists and is continuous on a neighborhood of c, and D2f exists at c, prove that f is differentiable at c.

Homework Equations

The only sufficient condition I have for a function to be differentiable at a point is that the partial derivatives exist and are continuous at that point.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I could show that D2f is continuous at c, then I would be done. To show that D2f is continuous at c, I have to be sure that

|D2f(x) - D2f(c)| < ε

when ||x - c|| is small (do I know that D2f(x) even exists for x ≠ c?). If f were continuous at c, then I think that I could argue that, since D2f(x) is close to some difference quotient of f at x and D2f(c) is close to some difference quotient of f at c (and these difference quotients can be made close to each other), then D2f(x) is close to D2f(c).

So now I am thinking of how to show that f is continuous. I know that if the partial derivatives are bounded on some region of c, then f is continuous at c. I think that the partial derivatives are bounded near c, but I am not totally sure. Could someone tell me if I am going in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x, y) = x2 sin(1/x) for x >0, 0 otherwise.
fy exists and is continuous in a neighbourhood of (0, 0).
fx exists but is not continuous in a neighbourhood of (0, 0).
Does this help to narrow down the possible approaches?

1. What is a derivative in two dimensions?

A derivative in two dimensions is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to two independent variables. It is represented by the symbol dy/dx and can be thought of as the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How is a derivative in two dimensions calculated?

A derivative in two dimensions is calculated using the same principles as a derivative in one dimension. It involves finding the limit of the slope of a secant line as the two points on the curve get closer together. This can be done using the formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1).

3. What is the importance of derivatives in two dimensions?

Derivatives in two dimensions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. They can be used to analyze rates of change, optimize functions, and solve real-world problems.

4. Can a derivative in two dimensions be negative?

Yes, a derivative in two dimensions can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, meaning that as the independent variables increase, the dependent variable decreases.

5. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative in two dimensions?

A partial derivative in two dimensions measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one independent variable while holding all other variables constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, takes into account the changes in all variables. In other words, a total derivative is a combination of all partial derivatives.