1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis - irrational number or positive integer

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let n and k be positive integers. Show that [tex]k^{1/n}[/tex] is either a positive integer or an irrational number.

3. The attempt at a solution

I set [tex]q = k^{1/n}[/tex]. Then I set [tex]q = \frac{m}{p} [/tex]. (Where m and p don't have common factors.) Then [tex]m^n = k * p^n [/tex]. So then k is a factor of [tex]m^n[/tex].

But here I get stuck. In other proofs they usually show that, like, then k must also be a factor of m, (but I don't know how to do that, if it is true), and then so [tex]m^n = [/tex] an integer * k^2, so then k must also be a factor of [tex]p^n[/tex], which means that m and p do have a common factor.

But I get stuck in the middle.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are you assuming about m and p, are they positive integers? If so, haven't you assumed q is rational?

4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    StatusX - Thanks so much for the help. If the factor divides m^n, how do I show that it also divides m?

EnumaElish - I am assuming m and p are positive integers with no common factors. So yeah, I have assumed q is rational. I am trying to prove that it cannot be rational (unless k is an nth power).

5. Sep 12, 2007 #4
    I think you are close but going about it the wrong way. The easiest way to prove things like this is to assume the opposite.

Suppose q isn’t irrational or an integer.

This means that q can be written in the form of a/b where a and b are relatively prime integers and b is non zero and non 1.

So q = k^(1/n) = a/b.

But this means that k = a^n/b^n

But what did we assume? That a and b are relatively prime, and clearly if a and b are relatively prime so are a^n and b^n. But this means that a^n/b^n isn’t an integer. But we assumed that k is an integer. This leads us to a contradiction, hence our assumption is false. QED.

Now since I gave you a pretty solid outline of the proof, a good way to make sure you really understand it would be to go back and see if you can spot where I used every assumption. Where did I use the fact that a,b and n are integers, where did i use b isn't 1 or 0? etc.

6. Sep 12, 2007 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

Sorry, I deleted that post because it had a mistake. Just use the prime itself. That is, assume q is a prime factor of k whose power in k is not a multiple of n. Then q must divide m^n, and so clearly also m.

7. Sep 12, 2007 #6
    JohnF - Thanks, I think I understand better. That proof makes sense to me.

StatusX - I don't understand how q must divide m if it divides m^n.

8. Sep 12, 2007 #7

StatusX

Homework Helper

Because it's a prime. Just think about it a little.

9. Sep 14, 2007 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

There seems to be more conditions required (q=4, m=n=2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?