Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Analysis Of Stilts Movement Research

1. Jul 10, 2016 #1
    Hello all, i'm planning to do a research about stilts movement. I chose it because stilt is a traditional game in my country. In my plan, i want to analyze the velocity of the walker, the frequency of stilts, and the length of steps. I need some other idea to be added to my research. Such as the speed of the walker is equal to frequency of walking multiplied by the length of steps. But is it to simple for a research? I need some ideas to improve my research.

idea that pop up in my mind:
    I plot the stilts tip movement position in center of mass frame, so i get the sinusoidal-like graph. I still haven't done the research, but is it necessary to do such fourier transform to get something more important? I don't get any idea to interpret the data.

thanks for your reply :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that would be a rather obvious result.

How about looking at the efficiency of the human vs height? For example do you use less energy walking 5km on tall stilts? That might be too hard because I think you need access to equipment to measure oxygen consumption.

4. Jul 11, 2016 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

How about an optimization problem...

There are two obvious places where motive power is lost for a pair of ideal stilts. One is when a stilt touches down and the person abruptly shifts from moving forward and slightly downward to forward and slightly upward. Assume an inelastic collision and this change in momentum has an associated energy loss. The other energy loss is due to the need to accelerate each stilt forward to get ready to plant it and then backwards to match ground speed. If one assumes that muscles cannot harvest the associated kinetic energy at each stride, these accelerations also result in a loss of energy.

Given some assumptions about stilt mass as a function of length and a particular forward velocity, is there a sweet spot where efficiency is maximized?

5. Jul 11, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take a video of someone walking in stilts .

Convert this into a series of stick man images and analyse the motion in detail .

You can video normal picture images but better , if you can devise a simple way of doing it , would be to record white dot images against a dark background .

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  6. Jul 11, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Battery powered torch bulbs or bright LED's would probably work well enough .

7. Jul 12, 2016 #6
    wow thanks for the brilliant idea. i will tell my partner about it. do you mind if i contact you when i need some help?

8. Jul 12, 2016 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No problem .

Best to post questions openly on forum - then lots of members can join in .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted