Physics Extended Essay Research Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to choose a research question for the Extended Essay, a 4000-word in-depth research paper. The speaker has chosen physics as their subject and is looking for a topic in classical mechanics. They request suggestions and mention the requirement for the paper to be in-depth. One suggestion is to explore the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulation of mechanics, which is accessible for high school students and crucial in physics. However, it is emphasized that the individual should choose their own topic for the assignment.
Vedika Khandelwal
So we need to decide our research question for the Extended Essay. The extended essay is basically a 4000-word in-depth research on atopic. I chose physics as my subject and I want to something in classical mechanics. can someone please suggest a topic ASAP.
P.s. even though its a high school level research paper its suppose to be quite in depth.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vedika Khandelwal said:
So we need to decide our research question for the Extended Essay. The extended essay is basically a 4000-word in-depth research on atopic. I chose physics as my subject and I want to something in classical mechanics. can someone please suggest a topic ASAP.
P.s. even though its a high school level research paper its suppose to be quite in depth.

Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulation of mechanics. This should be quite accessible for a high school student and is of the utmost importance in all of physics.

Likes berkeman and Dale
Part of the assignment is picking the topic. We shouldn't do your work for you.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a good topic for a Physics Extended Essay research question?

A good topic for a Physics Extended Essay research question should be specific, relevant, and manageable. It should also be based on a clear and testable hypothesis that can be investigated using scientific methods.

2. How do I choose a suitable research question for my Physics Extended Essay?

To choose a suitable research question for your Physics Extended Essay, you should first identify your area of interest and then brainstorm potential research questions related to that topic. You can also consult with your supervisor or other experts in the field for guidance and suggestions.

3. Can I conduct experiments for my Physics Extended Essay research question?

Yes, you can conduct experiments for your Physics Extended Essay research question. In fact, conducting experiments is highly encouraged as it allows you to collect data and analyze it to support your hypothesis. However, make sure to follow all safety protocols and obtain necessary permissions before conducting any experiments.

4. How do I structure my Physics Extended Essay research question?

The structure of your Physics Extended Essay research question should follow the standard scientific method, which includes the following components: background information, research question, hypothesis, methodology, data analysis, and conclusion. Make sure to also include a clear and concise title that reflects the main focus of your research.

5. Can I change my Physics Extended Essay research question after starting my research?

It is possible to change your Physics Extended Essay research question after starting your research, but it is not recommended. Changing your research question can significantly impact your entire essay and may require you to start over. It is best to carefully consider and finalize your research question before beginning your research.