Analysis of systems in equilibrium: articulated structures

In summary: I get that ##A \neq B_y## when I take the moment ##\circlearrowright^+ \sum M_{B} = 0 ##.I also disagree with your moment equation.
Guillem_dlc
Homework Statement
Solve the following articulated structure.
Relevant Equations
##\sum F=0, \sum M=0##
Figure:
4F7A2140-7C80-4F27-92AB-6ABA21BEEFDE.jpeg

My attempt at a Solution:

We calculate REACTIONS:
$$\sum F_x=0\rightarrow \boxed{Bx=0}\qquad \sum F_y=0\rightarrow By+A=50$$
$$\sum M_B=0\rightarrow \boxed{A=25\, \textrm{kN}}\quad \boxed{B=25\, \textrm{kN}}$$
KNOT B:
D780D80F-F79C-4897-B987-F269A607B98B.jpeg

$$\alpha \rightarrow \alpha =90-40=50\, \textrm{º}$$
$$\beta \rightarrow \beta =50+\arctan \left( \dfrac36 \right)-90=13,43\, \textrm{º}$$
$$\sum Fx=0\rightarrow \cancel{Bx}+TBD\cos \beta +TBC\sin \alpha=0$$
$$\sum Fy=0\rightarrow TBD\sin \beta +TBC\cos \alpha=15$$
$$\boxed{TBD=-25,69\, \textrm{kN},\quad TBC=32,62\, \textrm{kN}}$$
Could you look at this one? The solution they give is:
8F459223-3A19-4481-8C65-F44B4C9338B9.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the reaction at ##A## is only vertical? What is the connection type at point ##A##?

erobz said:
Are you sure the reaction at ##A## is only vertical? What is the connection type at point ##A##?
Nevermind. I can make out the little rollers. It is a vertical reaction force at ##A##.

Can you please provide the math that concluded:
Guillem_dlc said:
$$\sum M_B=0\rightarrow \boxed{A=25\, \textrm{kN}}\quad \boxed{B=25\, \textrm{kN}}$$
I get that ##A \neq B_y## when I take the moment ##\circlearrowright^+ \sum M_{B} = 0 ##.

Last edited:
I also disagree with your moment equation.
The easy way is, first, to note that the weights at A and B are irrelevant, then to resolve each of the others into a force parallel to AB and one parallel to CE.

Likes erobz
haruspex said:
I also disagree with your moment equation.
The easy way is, first, to note that the weights at A and B are irrelevant, then to resolve each of the others into a force parallel to AB and one parallel to CE.
(Alternatively) I took all the distances from ##B## perpendicular to the applied forces.

erobz said:
(Alternatively) I took all the distances from ##B## perpendicular to the applied forces.
But this is already what I have done, isn't it?

We calculate REACTIONS:
$$\sum Fx=0\rightarrow \boxed{Bx=0}\qquad \sum Fy=0\rightarrow By+A=50\quad \boxed{B_y=25\, \textrm{kN}}$$
$$\sum M_B=0=12\cos \alpha A-10(3\cos \alpha +6\cos \alpha +9\cos \alpha +12\cos \alpha)\rightarrow \boxed{A=25\, \textrm{kN}}$$
KNOT B:
$$\beta \rightarrow \beta =50+\arctan \left( \dfrac36 \right)-90=13,43\, \textrm{º}$$
$$\sum F_y=0\rightarrow TBD\sin \beta +TBC\cos \alpha =15$$
$$\boxed{TBD=-25,69\, \textrm{kN},\,\, TBC=32,62\, \textrm{kN}}$$

Guillem_dlc said:
$$By+A=50\quad \boxed{B_y=25\, \textrm{kN}}$$
To see that By and A cannot be equal, consider moments about C.

Guillem_dlc said:
But this is already what I have done, isn't it?

We calculate REACTIONS:
$$\sum Fx=0\rightarrow \boxed{Bx=0}\qquad \sum Fy=0\rightarrow By+A=50\quad \boxed{B_y=25\, \textrm{kN}}$$
$$\sum M_B=0=12\cos \alpha A-10(3\cos \alpha +6\cos \alpha +9\cos \alpha +12\cos \alpha)\rightarrow \boxed{A=25\, \textrm{kN}}$$
KNOT B:
$$\sum F_y=0\rightarrow TBD\sin \beta +TBC\cos \alpha =15$$
$$\boxed{TBD=-25,69\, \textrm{kN},\,\, TBC=32,62\, \textrm{kN}}$$
I don’t need to see all the other math( that math checks out), just the moment about B is the issue.

You didn’t take moments correctly.

To get you on the right track: what is the perpendicular distance from B to the point of application of the first 10kN load? It’s not ##3 \cos \alpha## like you suggest.

Last edited:
erobz said:
I don’t need to see all the other math( that math checks out), just the moment about B is the issue.

You didn’t take moments correctly.

To get you on the right track: what is the perpendicular distance from B to the point of application of the first 10kN load? It’s not ##3 \cos \alpha## like you suggest.
##3\cos 40## meant sorry

Guillem_dlc said:
##3\cos 40## meant sorry
It's not that either.

We are looking for the distance indicated below:

1667394348178.png

Last edited:
Guillem_dlc said:
Homework Statement:: Solve the following articulated structure.
Relevant Equations:: ##\sum F=0, \sum M=0##

Figure:
View attachment 316522
My attempt at a Solution:

We calculate REACTIONS:
$$\sum F_x=0\rightarrow \boxed{Bx=0}\qquad \sum F_y=0\rightarrow By+A=50$$
If you could turn the truss so its bottom chord were horizontal, the locations of the loads would be symetrical respect to the supports, and Ay could be equal to By.
Nevertheless, your truss is not horizontal.

Using a building stairs, two men are carrying a heavy sofa upstairs.
Which person will feel more weight, the one holding a sofa at the higher end or at the lower end?

For this type of problem, carefully calculating the support’s reactions is very important to accurately calculate the internal compression and tension loads of the structure members.
Otherwise you waste your work while propagating any error.

Likes erobz
erobz said:
It's not that either.

We are looking for the distance indicated below:

View attachment 316572
Would this be the case?
12E6FF6D-EC89-459E-B36C-84F768571111.jpeg

So the moment with respect to B, it won't go well, will it? Because it will give me ##25##.

Guillem_dlc said:
Would this be the case?
View attachment 316574
No. Its going to be larger than ##3 \rm{m}##. What you have shown is smaller.

Draw a perpendicular bisector from point ##D## to line ##BA##, yielding point ##D'## on line ##BA##. Use the resulting triangle ##BDD'## ( side lengths ) and the angle which you originally call ##\beta## in the OP to find the distance from ##B## perpendicular to the first vertical ##10 \, \rm{kN} ## force.

1667398328760.png

Last edited:
##3/\cos \beta##

Guillem_dlc said:
##3/\cos \beta##
Sorry, but no. Please see the figure I updated. We are looking for the length of the red double arrow. Use the triangle ##BDD'## to determine the length of ##BD##. Then use ##BD## and the angle ##\beta## to determine the length of the red double arrow.

Last edited:
Guillem_dlc said:
I see it as: ##\dfrac{3}{\cos \beta}\cdot \cos \mu##. I don't know it.

Guillem_dlc said:
I see it as: ##\dfrac{3}{\cos \beta}\cdot \cos \mu##. I don't know it.
Where is angle ##\mu##? If you are saying it is the angle between ##BD## and ##BA## then you have some stuff flipped around.

Last edited:
Anyhow, you don't need to introduce ##\mu## (wherever you have defined it). You calculate length ##BD## directly from Pythagorean Theorem.

Last edited:
erobz said:
Where is angle ##\mu##?
It's ##\varphi##, sorry:
$$\dfrac{3}{\cos \beta}\cdot \cos \varphi$$

Guillem_dlc said:
It's ##\varphi##, sorry:
$$\dfrac{3}{\cos \beta}\cdot \cos \varphi$$
Ok, for future reference you are changing the angle names you established in the OP. That is unnecessarily confusing. Try to avoid that in the future.

That is the proper length, but it's preferable to just calculate ##BD## from Pythagorean Theorem here.

$$ L = BD \cos \varphi = \sqrt{ 3^2 + 1.5^2} \cos \varphi $$

I made edits to this. I was mixing up ##BD## and the desired length. Hope I didn't cause confusion. ##L## is the perpendicular distance (moment arm for the applied load) we are after.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and Guillem_dlc
erobz said:
Ok, for future reference you are changing the angle names you established in the OP. That is unnecessarily confusing. Try to avoid that in the future.

That is the propper length, but it's preferable to just calculate ##BD## from Pythagorean Theorem here.

$$BD = \sqrt{ 3^2 + 1.5^2} \cos \varphi $$
OK, perfect. Thank you

Guillem_dlc said:
OK, perfect. Thank you
Now do the rest of them in a similar fashion.

Could you just project the truss and the forces onto a horizontal line (perpendicular to the direction of gravity and forces) and treat it as a loaded beam supported at both ends?

Lnewqban said:
Could you just project the truss and the forces onto a horizontal line (perpendicular to the direction of gravity and forces) and treat it as a loaded beam supported at both ends?
That’s effectively what I have done to solve it I believe. Or did you have a more in depth transformation/analysis in mind for the total result?

1667415195950.png

Last edited:
Lnewqban said:
I don't understand the question.

Guillem_dlc said:
I don't understand the question.
A horizontal projection of the real thing will be proportional regarding distribution of forces, I believe.
Just like @erobz has shown us above.

Lnewqban said:
A horizontal projection of the real thing will be proportional regarding distribution of forces
Regarding the external forces, right?

haruspex said:
Regarding the external forces, right?
Yes, indeed.
Internal forces require a different approach.
It seems to me that those internal forces were never calculated for this problem, but I may be missing it.

Lnewqban said:
those internal forces were never calculated for this problem, but I may be missing it.
The question asks for the whole structure to be solved, and post #1 makes a start on the internals, though predicated on a false calculation of the external forces.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is meant by systems in equilibrium?

Systems in equilibrium refer to a state in which all forces acting on the system cancel each other out, resulting in a balanced and stable system. In other words, the system is not moving or changing in any way.

2. How do you determine if a system is in equilibrium?

A system is in equilibrium if the sum of all the forces acting on the system is equal to zero and the sum of all the torques (rotational forces) acting on the system is also equal to zero. This can be determined by using the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion and the concept of torque.

3. What is an articulated structure?

An articulated structure is a type of structure that is made up of interconnected parts or segments that are able to move independently while still maintaining overall stability. Examples of articulated structures include cranes, bridges, and human joints.

4. How is the analysis of systems in equilibrium used in engineering?

The analysis of systems in equilibrium is an important tool in engineering as it allows engineers to design and build stable and efficient structures. By understanding the forces and torques acting on a system, engineers can ensure that their designs will be able to withstand the forces they will encounter in the real world.

5. What are some real-world applications of systems in equilibrium?

Systems in equilibrium can be found in many aspects of our daily lives, such as in buildings, bridges, and other structures. They are also essential in the design and operation of machines and vehicles, such as cars, airplanes, and ships. Additionally, systems in equilibrium are used in the study of human and animal movement, such as in biomechanics and physical therapy.