1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis: proving inverses involving sets

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    Let f: X → Y and A is a subset of Y and B is a subset of Y. Prove that:

a) f⁻¹(A union B) = f⁻¹(A) union f⁻¹(B)
    b) f⁻¹(A intersetion B) = f⁻¹(A) intersection f⁻¹(B).

I know that f⁻¹(A) = {x ε X : f(x) ε A}
    and so f⁻¹(B) {x ε X : f(x) ε B}

but after that I really don't understand how to prove this.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any time you are asked to prove X= Y for sets X and Y you do two things:
    Prove that X is a subset of Y and then that Y is a subset of X.

To prove X is a subset of Y, you start "if x is a member of X" and then use the definitions of X and Y to show that x must be a member of Y.

For example, here, if x is in f-1(A union B) then f(x) is in A union B. That means either f(x) is in A or f(x) is in B. If f(x) is in A, then x is in f-1(A). If f(x) is in B, then x is in f-1(B). In either case, x is in f-1(A) union f-1(B). That proves that f-1(A union B) is a subset of f-1(A) union f-1(B). Now do it the other way: if x is in f-1(A) union f-1(B), then ...

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, vikkisut.
    It's really just a matter of plugging in the definitions:
    [tex]f^{-1}(A \cup B) = \{ x \in X: f(x) \in A \cup B \} \stackrel{\star}{=} \{ x \in X: f(x) \in A \text{ or } f(x) \in B \} \stackrel{\star}{=} \{ x \in X: f(x) \in A \} \cup \{ x \in X: f(x) \in B \} = f^{-1}(A) \cup f^{-1}(B)[/tex]
    That is just a partial proof though; I have marked two of the identities with a [itex]\star[/itex], I suggest you try to prove these by a standard argument (let x be in one of them and show that it is in the other and vice versa).

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    Sorry I don't quite understand what you're suggesting me to do there? Let x be in what exactly? Be part part of A, and then show that it is in B?

6. Nov 9, 2008 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, let it be in
    [tex]\{ x \in X: f(x) \in A \cup B \}[/tex]
    and prove it to be in
    [tex]\{ x \in X: f(x) \in A \} \cup \{ x \in X: f(x) \in B \}[/tex]
    Also see HallsOfIvy's post, for more explanation.

[edit]You should also prove the converse of course, letting it be in the latter and showing that it is in the former.[/edit]

[edit]1500 posts by the way, almost went unnoticed :tongue:[/edit]

7. Nov 9, 2008 #6
    oh okay, thank you very much :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?