Analysis Question: Proving Algebraic operations for infinite limits

In summary, the given statement is not true as it stands. However, assuming that "bounded from below" also implies "unbounded from above", a proof by contradiction can be used to show that if the limit of a sequence is equal to a real number L, then the sequence must be bounded. This contradicts the given information that b_n is bounded below, and therefore the limit of (a_n + b_n) cannot be equal to a finite number and must diverge to infinity.
The_Iceflash

Homework Statement

Given [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}a_{n}}= 0[/tex]
[tex]b_{n}[/tex] is bounded below.

Prove: [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(a_{n}+b_{n})}= \infty[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my text: [tex]{b_{n}}[/tex] is bounded below if and only if there is a real number [tex]\ni[/tex] B [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]b_{n}\forall_{n}[/tex]

So, here's my attempt:

Putting the givens together I get:

B [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]b_{n}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] 0

At this point forward I'm not sure where to go with this. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't prove it as it is written, as its not true. For example, the sequences [itex]a_n = 0[/itex] and [itex]b_n = 1[/itex] satisfy the given conditions, yet the limit of their sum is 1, not divergent to infinity.

Are you sure that's exactly how the question is given? Perhaps they were sloppy and by their statement "Bounded from below" they also implied "Unbounded from above".

In the likelyhood the question is the case, Use that fact. What does it mean for a sequence to be unbounded from above?

Gib Z said:
You can't prove it as it is written, as its not true. For example, the sequences [itex]a_n = 0[/itex] and [itex]b_n = 1[/itex] satisfy the given conditions, yet the limit of their sum is 1, not divergent to infinity.

Are you sure that's exactly how the question is given? Perhaps they were sloppy and by their statement "Bounded from below" they also implied "Unbounded from above".

In the likelyhood the question is the case, Use that fact. What does it mean for a sequence to be unbounded from above?

That's exactly how the given was quoted in my textbook. That's why I was confused as well.

If a sequence is unbounded from above then it goes to infinity.

Well yes but in algebraic term. You wrote "According to my text: [tex]{b_{n}}[/tex] is bounded below if and only if there is a real number [tex]\ni[/tex] B [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]b_{n}\forall_{n}[/tex]".

Write the corresponding statement for if a sequence is unbounded from above. There will be information in there that you can use.

Next thing to do would be a proof by contradicition, assume the [itex]\lim_{n\to \infty} a_n +b_n[/itex] does exist and is equal to some number L. By the epsilon delta definition of a limit would does it mean for the limit to be equal to L? Can you contradict that using any information you have

What is an infinite limit in algebra?

An infinite limit in algebra refers to the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches either positive or negative infinity. It is denoted by the symbol ∞ and can be represented graphically by a vertical asymptote.

Why is it important to prove algebraic operations for infinite limits?

Proving algebraic operations for infinite limits is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function at extreme values. It also helps us to determine the existence of a limit and evaluate it accurately.

What are the common algebraic operations used to prove infinite limits?

The common algebraic operations used to prove infinite limits include factoring, rationalizing, and using algebraic manipulation techniques such as multiplying by the conjugate or using L'Hopital's rule.

Can algebraic operations be used to prove infinite limits for all functions?

Yes, algebraic operations can be used to prove infinite limits for all functions as long as they are continuous and defined at the limit point. However, some functions may require more advanced techniques to prove their infinite limits.

What are the limitations of using algebraic operations to prove infinite limits?

Using algebraic operations to prove infinite limits may not always be possible or practical for complex functions. In such cases, other methods such as using graphs or numerical methods may be more effective in determining the behavior of the function at infinite limits.