1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic Geometry / Vectors - Finding an Angle Bissector

1. Jun 10, 2013 #1
    Question:

What are the vector, parametric and symmetric equations of the angle bissector of angle ∠ABC, given that A=(1,2,3), B=(3,4,5) and C=(6,7,0).

Attempt at resolution:

Well, I defined some D=(d_1,d_2,d_3) to be a point in the angle bissector, and two lines r:X=(3+2a,4+2a,5+2a) and s:Y=(3+3b,4+3b,5-5b) for any a,b, which are the lines defined by points A and B and B and C respectively.

So, I realize that the distance between D and r must be the same as the distance between D and s, and that D=(d_1,d_2,d_3)=(3-2m+3n,4-2m+3n,5-2m-5n) for some m and n. The problem is that I do not seem to be able to find some efficient way to solve for these restrictions.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Normalize the direction vectors for the two lines. In other words, if you can find a point D on BA that's one unit away from B and a point E on BC that's one unit away from B, then F=(D+E)/2 will be on the bisector, right? Once you have have a single point on the bisector that's not B, you can find its equation.

4. Jun 10, 2013 #3
    Oh, of course. Thank you very much Dick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted