Analytical mechanics book to go along with meriam-kraige dynamics course

In summary, an analytical mechanics book is a useful supplement to the Meriam-Kraige dynamics course. It covers the principles of motion and force in a more analytical and mathematical approach, providing a deeper understanding of the subject. It can serve as a valuable resource for students looking to enhance their knowledge and problem-solving skills in dynamics.
saim_
We will be doing a course based entirely on Engineering Mechanics Vol. 2: Dynamics by Meriam and Kraige in the semester coming up. I want to supplement it with some good theoretical grounding in Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. Now, I cannot handle an entire separate course for those topics on the side. So I want a book that will help me get through a course based on the above mentioned book but is geared more towards the theoretical side and has some extra analytical mechanics part. This book seems like a good option:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0763757284/?tag=pfamazon01-20

What do you think? Also please suggest some other books as well. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
peoples... a little help please?? I'm sure you too have gone through the dry and boring wrath of meriam and kraige.. :(

What level is this for? I took my graduate dynamics course using Schaub and Junkins. I wasn't a huge fan of it but all my friends who actually do dynamics as a focus area (I am fluid dynamics, myself) tell me that it is great. In other words, dynamicists seem to like it. haha

Its a 2nd year undergrad course, after a first course in statics based on volume 1 of the same book and a basic mechanics course based on Resnick volume 1 before that. This is all the mechanics related stuff we have done up till now.

1. What is analytical mechanics?

Analytical mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that deals with the mathematical formulation of physical laws and principles, using calculus and other mathematical tools to describe and predict the motion of physical systems.

2. Why is an analytical mechanics book necessary for a dynamics course?

Analytical mechanics provides a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles of dynamics, which is the study of motion and the forces that cause it. It allows students to apply mathematical techniques to solve complex problems and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

3. How does the Meriam-Kraige dynamics course differ from other dynamics courses?

The Meriam-Kraige dynamics course is known for its rigorous and comprehensive approach to teaching dynamics. It places a strong emphasis on problem-solving and provides a thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts, making it a popular choice among engineers and scientists.

4. Is the Meriam-Kraige dynamics course suitable for beginners?

The Meriam-Kraige dynamics course is designed for students who have a strong foundation in calculus and physics. It may be challenging for beginners, but with dedication and effort, it can be a valuable resource for understanding dynamics and analytical mechanics.

5. Can an analytical mechanics book be used as a standalone resource for learning dynamics?

While an analytical mechanics book may cover some of the same topics as a dynamics course, it is not a substitute for a structured course. An analytical mechanics book can serve as a helpful supplement to a dynamics course, providing additional explanations and practice problems for further understanding.