Analyze two variable function with respect to another function

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a function of the form f(x,y) and how it changes when (x-y) changes. The solution involves converting f(x,y) into g(u,v) and calculating ∂g/∂u. There is also some ambiguity in the problem regarding the choice of u and v. More information is needed to make the problem concrete.
Essa1987
Can you please help me with the following problem:
Given a function of the form f(x,y) = (a-b x)^2 - (c - d y)^2, how can I tell how does f change when (x-y) change?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not quite sure what they question is supposed to represent. However, let u = x-y and v = x+y, then change f(x,y) into g(u,v). I believe that the answer would be ∂g/∂u.

The ambiguity is that v = x+y is not the only choice possible.

Thank you, mathman!

I agree, I was thinking about the ambiguity as well. I could also choose v = x etc and this will lead to a different solution.

I do not understand, however, what else do I need to know about the problem to make it concrete?

What is a two variable function?

A two variable function is a mathematical function that takes in two independent variables and produces a corresponding output. It is often represented as f(x,y) or z = f(x,y), where x and y are the independent variables and z is the output.

What is the purpose of analyzing a two variable function with respect to another function?

The purpose of analyzing a two variable function with respect to another function is to understand the relationship between the two functions and how changes in one function affect the other. This can help in solving complex problems and making predictions based on the given functions.

What are some common methods used to analyze two variable functions with respect to another function?

Some common methods used to analyze two variable functions with respect to another function include graphing, substitution, elimination, and optimization techniques. These methods help in visualizing and solving the equations to understand the relationships between the functions.

How do you determine the domain and range of a two variable function?

The domain of a two variable function is the set of all possible values that the independent variables can take. The range is the set of all possible values that the output can take. To determine the domain and range, you can look at the restrictions on the independent variables and the output values of the function.

What are some real-life applications of analyzing two variable functions with respect to another function?

Analyzing two variable functions with respect to another function has many real-life applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model supply and demand in economics, to understand the relationship between force and acceleration in physics, and to optimize processes in engineering.