1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

+ and - roots

1. Jul 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If you take a 4th root of something, is that answer also plus or minus, just like if you are taking a square root?

Ex. ##4^{\frac 1 2} = ±2##

So following that logic, would that mean that:

##16^{\frac 1 4} = ±2## as well?

Meaning, is the ± still present if you take a 4th root?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

While 2 and -2 are square roots of 4, the expression ##\sqrt{4}## denotes the principal (i.e., positive) root, or +2. So ##4^{1/2}## would also be +2.
    The principal fourth root of 16 is 2. There are three other fourth roots: -2, 2i, and -2i.

4. Jul 19, 2015 #3
    Okay, so I took the 4th root of -1 using a CAS, and ended up getting the result of

## r = \frac {\sqrt(2)} {2} +\frac {\sqrt(2)} {2}i ##

So is there any other answer besides this, or is this the single and only ?

5. Jul 19, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are four fourth roots, spaced 90° apart (##\pi/2## radians). I don't know if there is a principal fourth root of a negative number, similar to what I said before about the fourth root of 16.

Usually the question is asked as, "Find all of the fourth roots of <N>."

6. Jul 19, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The fourth roots of -1 satisfy the equation ##r^4 = -1## or ##r^4 + 1 = 0##. Since you have a fourth-degree polynomial, there are going to be four solutions.

To find the square roots of 4, you want to solve the equation ##z^2 = 4##. If you express both sides in polar form, with ##z = re^{i\theta}##, you have
    $$r^2 e^{i2\theta} = 4e^{i0},$$ which has solution ##r=2## and ##\theta=0##, which corresponds to ##z=2##. But you could also write the righthand side as ##4e^{i2\pi}##, which gives you a second solution, ##r=2## and ##\theta=\pi##, which corresponds to ##z=-2##.

You can use the same method to find all the fourth roots.

7. Jul 19, 2015 #6
    Okay, thank you both, I understand how to do this now and have applied it to my problem, but my problem is differential calculus based, so I will post that in the calculus and above section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted