Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

And the good news is, you'll get old

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080129/hl_nm/depression_age_dc

Can this realization be part of the cure?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, realizing that this, too, shall pass does help the middle-aged doldrums.

Mid-life bites. It means launching the kids into the world, watching parents become elderly...not to mention seeing our own health begin to fail!

4. Jan 29, 2008 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What about older age, though? Isn't old age more of the some of the things you've mentioned? (Parents, own health?)

5. Jan 29, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Middle age in the 40s? Hmmph! I'm planning to enjoy a couple dozen decades of travel after I retire, like Andre's parents. :biggrin:

6. Jan 29, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I read a study recently that claimed that senior citizens were the happiest. I find that hard to believe unless they only studied the independently wealthy and unusually healthy.

In that age range, you usually suffer the loss of a spouse, close relatives, and friends, find that you are no longer able to participate in normal activities you have always enjoyed, have decreased income, and suffer from increased age related health problems.

As for longevity, on my mother's side the women have lived to very old ages, exceeding 100 years in many cases, and with no illness or loss of activity. On my father's side, he died at age 53. His mother was completely paralyzed from arthritis, although she lived to the age of 94. Luckily, no cancer or other serious illnesses on either side of the family, ever, in known history. I wonder how unusual that is.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  7. Jan 29, 2008 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bah! A walk in the park ... compared to the discovery of sagging implants!

8. Jan 30, 2008 #7

Tsu

Gold Member

OH NO!!!!! :surprised Which of your implants are sagging, Gok?? :biggrin:

9. Jan 30, 2008 #8
    Definitely not, never notice anything. Just be sure to have a couple of great kids, with whom you can have fun, help with homework, enjoy the good things, nice paintings, good music, looking forward to achieve goals, have creative hobbies, photographing butterflies for instance

[​IMG]

(if you want one real size just pm me).

If you see this, how can you worry about getting old? Just enjoy so much that there is no time for worrying.

10. Jan 30, 2008 #9
    Dunno, I'm 57 and still waiting for middle age to set in. My mother too. She just turned 38 (meaning she's 83).

11. Jan 30, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think my folks will still be with us by the time I'm in my old-age years. And the bittersweet heartbreak of the empty nest will be blunted by then, I'm sure.

I'm actually looking forward to being old. I love my job but I'll be happy when I'll have a completely flexible schedule. I work in the wood products industry and my job security is tied to the economy...it's a little precarious right now. It will be nice when my income (from 401k, pension, and social security) isn't so uncertain.

(And yes I know pensions can simply disappear :frown: . I'm not depending on it.)

12. Jan 30, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The left one. :biggrin: :rofl:

13. Jan 30, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The article did make the point - "But the good news is that if people make it to aged 70 and are still physically fit, they are on average as happy and mentally healthy as a 20-year old." So the statement is conditional.

Happiness is largely a matter of attitude and of choice.

The Turtles - :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  14. Jan 31, 2008 #13
    I think I was happy when I hit my middle age. Lot's of good things happened. I got my driver's license, was able to vote. Could buy lottery tickets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?