Anderson Localization and general disorder of matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Anderson localization and disorder in crystal structures. It touches on the question of whether all matter contributes to restricting the wave function of an electron and what is specific to a finite disordered lattice and Anderson localization. The conversation also brings up the role of larger scale disorder and the uncertainty principle in the Anderson model. The expert explains that the model is a simplified one and that the electron is never localized at a single point but rather at the nodes of the lattice. They also mention the possibility of localizing the electron to one lattice point in the limit of infinite randomness.
asimov42
Hi all,

Just did a little bit of (layperson) reading about Anderson localization and disorder in crystal structures. Here's my question: shouldn't all matter contribute to 'restricting' the wave function of e.g., an electron, whether it's in a crystal structure or not? That is, what's specific to a finite disordered lattice and Anderson localization?

That is, shouldn't things like an electron moving through water molecules (highly disordered) force localization of the electron wave function in a similar fashion?

As an extreme example, if you consider e.g., that single electron, and all the matter in, say, the observable universe, shouldn't the interference of all of the wave functions together effectively force the localization of the electron to some very small region? (since the matter distribution has reasonably large entropy) Or is it that the interference effectively 'averages' out in some way?

Thanks - sorry if the questions above are not very 'crisp'.

Physics news on Phys.org
asimov42 said:
Hi all,

Just did a little bit of (layperson) reading about Anderson localization and disorder in crystal structures. Here's my question: shouldn't all matter contribute to 'restricting' the wave function of e.g., an electron, whether it's in a crystal structure or not? That is, what's specific to a finite disordered lattice and Anderson localization?

Thanks - sorry if the questions above are not very 'crisp'.

Sorry if I can't give you a very crisp answer, too. The problem is a very complicated one, as there are so many different disordered systems. Andersons model is maybe one of the simplest conceivable ones, thence its importance. The Hamiltonian contains basically only two ingredients: The kinetic energy of the electrons (in the disguise of the hopping parameter t) and the disorder potential. Using a finite lattice gives you the possibility to choose the disorder potential as statistically independent at different lattice points. In a continuous model, you would have to specify some spatial correlation function leaving much more freedom.
Although the model is relatively simple, it is already hard to derive properties of it's solutions. But these properties are already quite interesting, e.g. that whether the solutions are localized or not depends on the strength of the perturbing potential and on the dimensionality of the lattice.
Finally, it was one of the first publications studying disorder in quantum systems, hence it received a lot of attention.

Thanks DrDu, that's helpful!

I guess one of the things I'm wondering (alluded to above) is why a lattice structure like a disordered crystal is needed? Isn't it possible to, in some sense, consider a large volume of space with lots of matter as effectively being a lattice? And then shouldn't the results carry over?

I can only provide you with a term to look for: "Random Schrödinger Operators"

Ah, ok, I think I'm getting it a bit now. If I understand (from what I've read), the localization effect can occur even if the particle energy is higher than all of the potential barriers. However, I'm assuming there's an energy above which the effect would break down? (at some point, the electron must diffuse...)

Hi all - I really appreciate the input from DrDu. Here's (hopefully) the last question: for effects like Anderson localization, why draw the line at, say, a finite disordered e.g. semiconductor lattice in a laboratory... this is basically 're-asking' the first question I had above. Why is it that larger scale disorder of matter (beyond some finite lattice) doesn't contribute to to the localization effect? Or is there a reason to `down weight' those effects?

I wouldn't say that larger scale disorder does not contribute. The point is that this isn't even controversal. The interesting point in Andersons analysis is that you can trace when weak disorder wins over kinetic energy.

Ah, ok - thanks again DrDu.

It looks like, in the Anderson model, it should in theory be possible to localize e.g., an electron, perfectly (i.e., to squash the wave function down to a delta function), if there is sufficient disorder. But this clearly can't be the case, as this would violate the uncertainty principle. Is this an issue with the model?

Sorrz for not answering earlier.I think you missunderstand the model. The electron is never localized at a single point. Rather the nodes of the lattice correspond to some kind of valence orbital on the atoms making up the lattice. So yes, you can localize the electron to one lattice point, if you make interaction weak enough and lift all the other sites a little bit in energy.

Hi DrDu - thanks! In another thread, I was asking - if you had, in theory, infinite randomness, would the resulting localization to a lattice point become exact (I guess this is theory what I asked before). If I do understand the Anderson model correctly, the lattice would be infinite to achieve bounded localization (with no mobility edges). In the limit, could you not push this bound to be as small as one liked (perhaps you would need infinite potentials at other lattice points?).

1. What is Anderson Localization?

Anderson Localization is a phenomenon in which the wavefunction of a particle becomes localized in a disordered medium, preventing it from propagating through the material. This results in a halt of diffusion and leads to insulating behavior in a material that would otherwise be conducting.

2. How does disorder affect materials?

Disorder in materials can cause their properties to deviate from those of a perfect crystal. This can lead to changes in conductivity, thermal conductivity, and other physical properties of the material.

3. What causes Anderson Localization?

Anderson Localization is caused by the interference of waves in a disordered medium. When waves scatter off of impurities and defects in the material, they interfere and can cancel each other out, preventing the wave from propagating through the material.

4. What are some real-world examples of Anderson Localization?

Anderson Localization has been observed in a variety of systems, including electrons in disordered solids, light in random media, and sound waves in disordered phononic systems. It has also been studied in biological systems such as DNA and proteins.

5. How is Anderson Localization studied in experiments?

Anderson Localization is typically studied by measuring the conductivity or diffusion of particles in a disordered medium. This can be done through a variety of experimental techniques, such as transport measurements, optical spectroscopy, and scanning tunneling microscopy.