Android ASUS Gobbling up Data like a Glutton.

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi all,
I bought a new ASUS Android recently and it is just eating up data like crazy; some 1.4 GB in around a week. Hotspot and Tethering alone has used up around 1GB in around a week. I selected data savings option and disabling access by background process but this seems extreme. Any advice?

Answers and Replies

scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Many devices allow you to view data usage by app, usually somewhere in the settings. What happens when you put in Airplane mode?

• Informative
Likes WWGD, jedishrfu and anorlunda
My son had this issue. He was always eating up our data limits due to running a music streaming app.

One other example was when my wife to a trip to the national parks. She wanted to send back photos of trip but due to spotty cell service the email send would send a few megabytes and then fail. Basically, the sent email never completed sending (sat in the outbox) and the data plan went over its limits.

Likes WWGD, QuantumQuest, atyy and 1 other person
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Why is this surprising? 1.4 GB - 1 GB = 400 MB, which is 57 MB/day. That's an hour of audio or a couple of cat videos on YouTube.

Likes WWGD, scottdave, jedishrfu and 2 others
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Why is this surprising? 1.4 GB - 1 GB = 400 MB, which is 57 MB/day. That's an hour of audio or a couple of cat videos on YouTube.
But, is tethering supposed to consume this much?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Tethering consumes whatever the tethered devices used.

scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
So the tethered device could be backing up photos or other files. But you may can do some things. For example If you have a Windows device which is tethered, you should be able to tell Windows that this is a Metered connection.