Android ASUS Gobbling up Data like a Glutton.

In summary, the speaker is experiencing high data usage on their new ASUS Android device, particularly due to hotspot and tethering usage. They have tried using data saving options and disabling background processes, but the data usage remains high. Other users suggest checking data usage by app and trying Airplane mode. The speaker also shares examples of others experiencing high data usage, such as a son using a music streaming app and a wife having difficulty sending photos due to spotty cell service. Finally, it is noted that tethering consumes the data used by the tethered devices.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I bought a new ASUS Android recently and it is just eating up data like crazy; some 1.4 GB in around a week. Hotspot and Tethering alone has used up around 1GB in around a week. I selected data savings option and disabling access by background process but this seems extreme. Any advice?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Many devices allow you to view data usage by app, usually somewhere in the settings. What happens when you put in Airplane mode?

• Informative
Likes WWGD, jedishrfu and anorlunda
My son had this issue. He was always eating up our data limits due to running a music streaming app.One other example was when my wife to a trip to the national parks. She wanted to send back photos of trip but due to spotty cell service the email send would send a few megabytes and then fail. Basically, the sent email never completed sending (sat in the outbox) and the data plan went over its limits.

Likes WWGD, QuantumQuest, atyy and 1 other person
Why is this surprising? 1.4 GB - 1 GB = 400 MB, which is 57 MB/day. That's an hour of audio or a couple of cat videos on YouTube.

Likes WWGD, scottdave, jedishrfu and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Why is this surprising? 1.4 GB - 1 GB = 400 MB, which is 57 MB/day. That's an hour of audio or a couple of cat videos on YouTube.
But, is tethering supposed to consume this much?

Tethering consumes whatever the tethered devices used.

So the tethered device could be backing up photos or other files. But you may can do some things. For example If you have a Windows device which is tethered, you should be able to tell Windows that this is a Metered connection.

1. What is causing my Android ASUS to use excessive data?

There could be several factors contributing to your device using more data than usual. Some possible causes include background apps using data, automatic updates and syncing, streaming high-quality media, and malware or viruses.

2. How can I check which apps are using the most data on my Android ASUS?

You can check data usage by going to Settings > Network & internet > Data usage. Here, you can see a breakdown of data usage by app and adjust your settings accordingly.

3. Can I limit the amount of data my Android ASUS uses?

Yes, you can set a data limit on your device by going to Settings > Network & internet > Data usage and toggling on the "Set data warning" and "Set data limit" options. This will allow you to set a specific amount of data for your device to use and receive notifications when you approach that limit.

4. Is there a way to reduce data usage on my Android ASUS?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce data usage on your device. You can turn off automatic updates and syncing, lower the quality of streaming media, and use Wi-Fi whenever possible. You can also download data-saving apps or enable data-saving features on your device.

5. How can I prevent my Android ASUS from using excessive data in the future?

To prevent your device from using excessive data, you can monitor your data usage regularly, adjust your settings to limit data usage, and be cautious about downloading apps or media that may use a lot of data. You can also contact your service provider to see if there are any data-saving plans or options available for your device.