Angle and speed of can after collision

In summary, the problem involves a can of soup of mass 1.2 kg being thrown upward at a velocity of 4.6 m/s and then being struck from the side by a rock of mass 0.63 kg traveling at 7.9 m/s. The rock ricochets off at an angle of 65◦ with a velocity of 5.5 m/s. The question asks for the angle of the can's motion after the collision and its speed immediately after the collision. The equations used to solve this problem are Px=m1v3cosα+m2v4cosβ and Py=m2v2, where Px is the momentum in the x-direction, Py is the momentum in the y-direction,
gap0063

Homework Statement

An m2 = 1.2 kg can of soup is thrown upward with a velocity of v2 = 4.6 m/s. It is immediately struck from the side by an m1 = 0.63 kg rock traveling at v1 = 7.9 m/s.
The rock ricochets off at an angle of α = 65◦ with a velocity of v3 = 5.5 m/s.

(a)What is the angle of the can’s motion after the collision?
Answer in units of ◦.

(b)With what speed does the can move immediately after the collision?
Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

Px=m1v3cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]+m2v4cos[tex]\beta[/tex]
Py=m1v3sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]+m2v4sin[tex]\beta[/tex]

where Px= m1v1
and Py=0

The Attempt at a Solution

so then I solved for v4= -m1v3sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]/m2sin[tex]\beta[/tex]

then I plugged v4 back into the first equation and I think this is where I messed up, probably in the algebra because then:

m1v1= m1v3cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]+m2(m1v3sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]/m2sin[tex]\beta[/tex])cos[tex]\beta[/tex]

m1v1= m1v3cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]-(m1v3sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]cos[tex]\beta[/tex]

then I plugged numbers in:

4.977= 3.465 cos 65[tex]\circ[/tex]-3.14036 cot [tex]\beta[/tex]
3.14036cot[tex]\beta[/tex]=-3.51263
[tex]\beta[/tex]=137.203[tex]\circ[/tex]

as for part (b) I don't know how to solve without part (a)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please, anyone?

Am I even on the right track?

hi gap0063! :smile:
gap0063 said:
An m2 = 1.2 kg can of soup is thrown upward with a velocity of v2 = 4.6 m/s. Px=m1v3cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]+m2v4cos[tex]\beta[/tex]
Py=m1v3sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]+m2v4sin[tex]\beta[/tex]

where Px= m1v1
and Py=0

no, your Py should be m2v2, shouldn't it?

(and that's messed up your calculation of v4 at the start :redface:)

1. What is the relationship between the angle and speed of a can after a collision?

The angle and speed of a can after a collision are directly related. This means that as the angle of collision increases, the speed of the can also increases.

2. How does the mass of the can affect the angle and speed after a collision?

The mass of the can does not have a significant effect on the angle and speed after a collision. The angle and speed are primarily determined by the initial velocity and the angle of collision.

3. Is there a difference in the angle and speed of a can after a head-on collision compared to a glancing collision?

Yes, there is a difference in the angle and speed of a can after a head-on collision compared to a glancing collision. In a head-on collision, the angle of the can after the collision will be the same as the angle of collision, while in a glancing collision, the angle of the can will be different.

4. Can the angle and speed of a can after a collision be calculated?

Yes, the angle and speed of a can after a collision can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. These calculations take into account the initial velocity and angle of collision, as well as the masses of the objects involved.

5. How does the surface the can collides with affect the angle and speed after collision?

The surface the can collides with can affect the angle and speed after collision. A softer surface, such as a pillow, will result in a lower speed and a larger angle after collision compared to a harder surface, such as a wall. This is because the softer surface will absorb more of the energy from the collision, resulting in a slower speed and larger angle for the can.