Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle and trig definitions in curved space

1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    I was going to ask a question about whether or not pi was constant or changed with curved space. I found the answer on here that it does indeed change. Then I started thinking about the ramifications of that. sine waves are dependent on pi, so they should change too. Does sin(theta) = opposite / hypotenuse still hold true for all spaces?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just to clarify.... ##\pi=4\arctan(1)=3.1415...##
    It's a particularly interesting number, which is also equal to the circumference/diameter ratio of any circle on a Euclidean plane.
    Now in a curved space, the circumference/diameter ratio is no longer independent of the circle... and many formulas that work for (say) triangles in the plane don't work any more. [You must do calculus and differential geometry now.]
    However, at any point in a curved space, there is a tangent vector space there. On a Euclidean plane in that vector space, that ratio is still ##\pi## for any circle drawn on it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  4. Sep 11, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You may be talking about something other than "[itex]\pi[/itex]". [itex]\pi[/itex] has a very specific value. There are a number of different ways to define [itex]\pi[/itex], one of them being the ratio between the circumference of a circle divided by the diameter of that circle in Euclidean Geometry. In a variety of forms of non-Euclidean geometries, that ratio might be something other than [itex]\pi[/itex] or the ratio might not be a constant. That has nothing to do with the number [itex]\pi[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook