Angle between B-Field and X-axis

In summary, the problem involves two long parallel wires carrying currents in opposite directions and asks for the magnitude and direction of the B-field at a point perpendicular to both wires. In part 1, the magnitude of the B-field is found to be 1.16×10-4 T. In part B, the direction of the B-field is determined to be in the x direction, with an angle of 270 degrees due to the cancellation of x components and addition of y components.
hanagasumi

Homework Statement

Two long horizontal straight parallel wires are 3.18 cm apart and each carries a current of 9.25 A in the directions shown in the above figure. What is the magnitude of the B-field at point P, which is at a perpendicular distance of 2.25 cm from both wires?

Homework Equations

What is the direction of the B-field at point P? Give the angle between the x-axis and the B-field in degrees (give your answer as an angle between 0 and 359 deg.).

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part 1, and found the magnitude of the B-field, which is 1.16×10-4 T and is correct, and then I'm stuck on part B, I think according to my image, the x and y components both will double, but it shouldn't affect my angle, but it's wrong. I think my assumption is wrong. Can anyone please help me with the angle?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• cc19a.gif
    cc19a.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
the y components will cancel out, and the x components will add up. check it by thinking about the tangent to the magnetic field line at P due to each wire.

supratim1 said:
the y components will cancel out, and the x components will add up. check it by thinking about the tangent to the magnetic field line at P due to each wire.

If my y components cancel out and my x-components add up, then will my angle be 359?

How did you get the magnetic field in part 1?

angiep410 said:
How did you get the magnetic field in part 1?

What's the magnetic field strength at some distance r from a long, current carrying wire? What's its direction?

I'm stuck on a similar question as well.

My y components canceled out and the total magnetic field is just 2*the x component of one wire.

Doesn't this mean it has to be in x direction if there's no y component..

It should be 180, but that's wrong and so is 0.

Actually, it's the x components that cancel out, not y, so the angle should be 270?

Last edited:
Sean1218 said:
I'm stuck on a similar question as well.

My y components canceled out and the total magnetic field is just 2*the x component of one wire.

Doesn't this mean it has to be in x direction if there's no y component..

It should be 180, but that's wrong and so is 0.

Is your question exactly the same or only similar? Current directions matter.

It's slightly different. Currents are in opposite directions. 270 doesn't seem to be correct either though.

Sean1218 said:
It's slightly different. Currents are in opposite directions. 270 doesn't seem to be correct either though.

Well there you go; you'll need to see how that affects the B-field directions.

1. What is the angle between the B-field and the X-axis?

The angle between the B-field and the X-axis is the angle at which the magnetic field lines intersect the X-axis. It is measured in degrees or radians.

2. How is the angle between the B-field and the X-axis determined?

The angle between the B-field and the X-axis can be determined using a compass or a magnetic field sensor. The device is placed on the X-axis and the angle is measured where the B-field is perpendicular to the X-axis.

3. Why is the angle between the B-field and the X-axis important?

The angle between the B-field and the X-axis is important in understanding the direction and strength of the magnetic field. It also helps in determining the orientation of magnetic materials and their behavior in the presence of a magnetic field.

4. What is the significance of the angle between the B-field and the X-axis in physics?

In physics, the angle between the B-field and the X-axis plays a crucial role in electromagnetism and the study of magnetic fields. It is used to calculate the magnetic flux, the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field, and the torque on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field.

5. Can the angle between the B-field and the X-axis change?

Yes, the angle between the B-field and the X-axis can change depending on the orientation and strength of the magnetic field, as well as the position of the observer. It can also be changed by manipulating the direction of current in a wire or the orientation of a magnet.