1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle between line l and line m is 60degree

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The line l has the equation r= s(1,2,-1) and the line m has the equation r= (0,1,1)+t(5,a,5). Find the value of a such that the angle between the line l and m is 60degree.

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I did was use the equation s(1,2,-1)xt(5,a,-5) = [tex]\sqrt{1^2 + 2^2 + 1^2}[/tex]x[tex]\sqrt{5^2 + a^2 + 5^2}[/tex] x cos 60

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}= |\vec{u}||\vec{v}|cos(\theta)[/itex].
    So [itex]\sqrt{6}\sqrt{50+ a^2}cos(60)= 10+ 2a[/itex]
    All you have to do is solve that equation for a. I recommend squaring both sides to get rid of the square root and solving the resulting quadratic equation.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. May 28, 2012 #3

Yea finally I am able to solve it. I was having dilemma on the square root part but your advice had been really helpful. Thanks a lot HallsofIvy. Cheers :smile:
    I got my answer a = [tex]\sqrt{30}[/tex]. I accidentally put s(1,2,-1)xt(5,a,-5) when its suppose to be s(1,2,-1)xt(5,a,5) therefore its suppose to be 2a instead of 10+2a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook