1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle Between two surfaces and a point

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    Find the angle between the surfaces defined by r^2= 9 and x + y + z^2= 1 at the point (2,-2,1)? --- I know this should be extremely simple but it is blowing my mind for some reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The angle between two surfaces at a point pf intersection is the angle between their normal vectors at that point. And if you write the surfaces as f(x,y,z)= constant, the normal vector is in the same direction as [itex]\nabla f[/itex]. You probably want to write the first surface in Cartesian coordinates as x2+ y2+ z2= 9. Find the gradients of those two functions and then use the fact that
    [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}= |\vec{u}||\vec{v}|cos(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the two vectors.

Although this was posted in Precalculus, I don't believe this can be done without using Calculus.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?