1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle of Child Sliding Down Hill

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A child on a toboggan slides down a hill with an acceleration of magnitude 1.5 m/s^2. If friction is negligible, what is the angle between the hill and the horizontal?

a = 1.5 m/s^2
    g = 9.8 m/s^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, there is no mass given so it it's a little confusing but I tried it anyways.

First of all here is my diagram of the situation. I flipped my free body diagram so that Fn is y+ (the dotted black line of x is perpendicular to Fn). The dotted red line represents what the X and Y line if Fg was perpendicular to the X. So I rotated my FBD and therefore had to rotate my angle.

so now according to the FBD (used black dotted line as origins in the solution).

1. mg[cos(90-[tex]\theta[/tex])] = ma

2. g[cos(90-[tex]\theta[/tex])] = a (factored the mass out)

3. cos(90-[tex]\theta[/tex]) = a/g (brought g to the other side)

4. cos90 cos[tex]\theta[/tex] + sin 90 sin [tex]\theta[/tex] = a/g (Angle subtraction)

5. [tex]\arcsin[/tex] (a / g) = [tex]\theta[/tex] (cos 90 is 0 so we can get rid of that first term, and sin 90 is simply 1 so it simplifies to this)

6. [tex]\arcsin[/tex] (1.5 / 9.8) = [tex]\theta[/tex]

7. [tex]\theta[/tex] = 8.8 degrees

Now I can't really check my answer, and I may have used that whole angle subtraction out of place so can someone just check for me. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2
    isnt this just a basic triangle? y is gravity, h is 1.5, and find angle with arcsin?
  4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    I guess I took the longer stop, I just looked at the diagram and realized if I took sin theta, it would've been same as taking cos 90 - theta. Stupid :D
  5. Sep 25, 2007 #4
    i dunno, im noob at this too. i did take trig so i guess thats the first step that popped in my mind
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?