Angle of photon emission from particle decay (Particle Phys)

In summary, the conversation discusses the decay of particle A at rest into two photons. In part A, the energy and momentum of each photon is calculated in terms of the rest mass of A. In part B, the momentum of A in a different reference frame is found, and the angle between the two photons' trajectories is calculated using conservation of momentum. However, there is an error in the calculation due to not treating the momenta as vectors. Energy conservation can also be used to deduce information about the photons.
12x4

Homework Statement

a) Particle A decays at rest into two photons. Calculate, in terms of the rest mass of A, the energy and momentum of each photon.

b) In a different reference frame, particle A is initially in motion such that its kinetic energy is equal to its rest energy. Find the momentum of A in this frame. Assuming that the photons have equal energy, use conservation of momentum to calculate the angle between the photons’ trajectories.

Homework Equations

E2 = p2c2 + m2c4

EA = EB + EC

pA = pB + pC

p = p1 cosϑ + p2 cosϑ[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

:

A)[/B] PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED PICTURE BELOW FOR MY WORKING

Okay so I think I have managed this part of the question and got an answer of:

photon momentum same for both photons and is : pp = mA / 2

Energy of each photon : Ep = mA c2 / 2

Part A.jpg

B) PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED PICTURE BELOW FOR MY WORKING I am getting an angle of 0 degrees between the two photons. This is intuitively wrong so not sure what's happening. I'm going to try and upload an image of my working because it takes me ages to write it out on here and think it might be more clear what I've done. If it doesn't work then please bear with me and I'll write it out on here. thank you in advance to anyone that helps.

The second line of working i have just replaced the LHS with twice the rest mass.
Then followed that through to obtain a value for the momentum of A.

I then tried to use conservation of momentum to find a value for the momentum of each photon.

Once i had this i used the formula: p = p1 cosϑ + p2 cosϑ

Part B.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
In part B you wrote ##P_A = P_B + P_C##. You need to treat the momenta as vectors. So, ##\vec{P}_A = \vec{P}_B + \vec{P}_C##. The right hand side is vector addition. This is in fact how you get to the relation involving the cosines of the angles.

What can you deduce about the photons from energy conservation?

1. What is the angle of photon emission from particle decay?

The angle of photon emission from particle decay is determined by the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. It is calculated using the formula: θ = arccos[(Eγ - E1)/(E2 - E1)], where θ is the angle of emission, Eγ is the energy of the emitted photon, E1 is the energy of the initial particle, and E2 is the energy of the final particle.

2. How is the angle of photon emission affected by the mass of the decaying particle?

The angle of photon emission is directly proportional to the mass of the decaying particle. This means that a heavier particle will have a larger angle of photon emission compared to a lighter particle, assuming all other factors are the same. This is due to the conservation of momentum, as a heavier particle will have a greater momentum and therefore a larger angle of emission.

3. Can the angle of photon emission be predicted or measured?

Yes, the angle of photon emission can be both predicted and measured. Theoretical calculations and simulations can be used to predict the angle of emission, and experiments can be performed to measure the actual angle of emission from particle decays. These measurements are important in validating and refining our understanding of particle physics.

4. Is the angle of photon emission always the same for a specific decay process?

No, the angle of photon emission can vary for a specific decay process. This is due to the inherent randomness and probabilistic nature of particle decays. While the average angle of emission may be constant, individual decays can result in different angles of emission. This is why multiple experiments are often performed to gather enough data and determine the average angle of emission for a given decay process.

5. How does the angle of photon emission contribute to our understanding of particle physics?

The angle of photon emission is an important parameter in particle physics as it provides valuable information about the properties of the decaying particles. By studying the angles of emission from different decay processes, scientists can gain insights into the underlying fundamental forces and interactions at play. Additionally, precise measurements of the angle of emission can help in testing and refining existing theories and models in particle physics.