Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angled take off adapters (distallation aparatus)

  1. Jul 12, 2017 #1
    I recently built my first distallation aparatus and in the process bought a few 105 bend take off adapter, however the angle isnt quite right and i cannot seem to source a 24/40 bent adapter/connector of any other angle! Is it just ebay/aliexpress or is 105 standard or something?

    I am about to try heating one up with a butane torch to adjust the angle, but figured i would ask first. I would have thought you ciuld get a variety of angles, but I am at a loss to find one.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2017 #2
    Why not try the local DIY Store and search in the plumbing section, there you will find all sorts of copper or stainless steel bends which you could fit together.
  4. Jul 12, 2017 #3
  5. Jul 12, 2017 #4
  6. Jul 12, 2017 #5
    scoured ebay and aliexpress, there are many types, but I cannot find any 24/40's in anything other than a 105 dgr bend, it just strikes me as weird, I was hoping a lab chemist could explain the reason they are so common, because they dont create right angles anywhere. Its not a huge deal, its just a few degrees off what I need. I am sure if I went to a big domestic science supply store I might find some additional options, but for sure I will end up paying through the nose. For now, I will try my hand at glass blowing, lol.
  7. Jul 12, 2017 #6
    Try putting Lab glasware in google, or Pyrex Lab glass, they have 90 bends and all sorts of goodies..

    have fun with the glass blowing !
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted