1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Acceleration and wheel revolution

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wheel accelerates from rest to 59 rad/s at a rate of 29 rad/s². How many revolutions the wheel turned while accelerating?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm confused, I suck at this kind of problem. I got change in angular velocity which would be 59rad/s, and I got that the angular acceleration would be 29 rad/s². What equation relates all three? All equations I know relate them using time, but I got no time there.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation you are looking for is an EXACT analog of the equation for linear motion, s=(1/2)*a*t^2. Does that help?

4. Feb 19, 2007 #3
    Not really. See that would translate into angular motion as this:

Angular Displacement = 1/2*Angular Acceleration*Time²

And since I got no time, that equation is useless. I need an equation that somehow relates ONLY angular displacement to angular velocity and angular acceleration

Unless I'm missing a way to get the time from the given data....

5. Feb 19, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you know the initial velocity, the final velocity and the acceleration. Could that give you a time?

6. Feb 19, 2007 #5
    ...could it?

7. Feb 19, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would say that if I accelerate from 0 to 10 m/sec at an acceleration of 10 m/sec^2, then the time it takes is 1 sec.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?