Angular acceleration of a Propeller

In summary, we are trying to find the amount of time it takes for an airplane propeller to turn through 40 degrees, given that it is rotating at 2000 revolutions per minute. By using the equations \theta = 1/2\omegat and \omegaz = d\theta/dt, we can calculate a time of approximately 0.0033 seconds. However, there was an error in the calculation due to a small typo, which was later corrected.
clope023
[SOLVED] angular acceleration of a Propeller

Homework Statement

An airplane propeller is rotating at 2000rev/min .

[tex]\omega[/tex]z = 209rad/s

How long in seconds does it take for the propeller to turn through 40degrees?

Homework Equations

[tex]\theta[/tex] = 1/2[tex]\omega[/tex]t

[tex]\omega[/tex]z = d[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

40degrees = (2[tex]\Pi[/tex]/360degrees) = .698rad

209rad/s = .698rad/t

209rad/s(t) = .698rad

t = .698rad/209rad/s

t = .0033s wrong

I'm sure I'm using the right equations, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

any help is appreicated, I think I'm missing something obvious just not sure what it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me. Why do you think it's wrong?

Doc Al said:
Looks OK to me. Why do you think it's wrong?

masteringphysics told me it was wrong

oh for the love of God, I entered .003 instead of .0033 and they counted it wrong, I hate masteringphysics, thanks for checking anyway Doc Al

Related to Angular acceleration of a Propeller

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is the rate of change of the object's angular velocity.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the change in rotational speed of an object, while linear acceleration refers to the change in straight-line speed of an object. They are measured in different units, with angular acceleration being measured in radians per second squared and linear acceleration being measured in meters per second squared.

3. How is angular acceleration of a propeller calculated?

The angular acceleration of a propeller can be calculated by dividing the change in the propeller's angular velocity by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the torque applied to the propeller by the moment of inertia of the propeller.

4. What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a propeller?

The angular acceleration of a propeller can be affected by several factors, including the amount of force applied to the propeller, the moment of inertia of the propeller, and any external forces acting on the propeller such as air resistance or friction.

5. How does angular acceleration affect the performance of a propeller?

Angular acceleration plays a crucial role in the performance of a propeller. It determines how quickly the propeller can change its rotational speed, which affects the thrust and efficiency of the propeller. A higher angular acceleration can result in a faster and more powerful propeller, while a lower angular acceleration may result in slower and less efficient performance.