1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Acceleration of a rotating wheel

1. Oct 27, 2006 #1
    A rotating wheel requires 2.98 s to rotate through 37.0 revolutions. Its angular speed at the end of the 2.98 s interval is 98.8 rad/s. What is the constant angular acceleration of the wheel?

First I tried acceleration = (98.8rad/s - 0 rad/s) / 2.98 s - 0s = 33.15, which was incorrect.

Then I tried acceleration = (98.8rad/sec)^2 - (0 rad/sec)^2 = 2 * acceleration * 74pi and solving for acceleration i got 20.99 but thats incorrect too. I got 74 pi by converting 37 rev.

Any clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If all the information given in the problem is correct, the wheel is not starting from rest.

4. Oct 27, 2006 #3
    Huh, I guess I never considered that. That's frustrating :\ Thanks for your help though :)

5. Nov 2, 2006 #4
    never mind, i got it :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  6. Nov 2, 2006 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought you had it when you posted your previous reply. Sorry if you were expecting something more.

7. Nov 2, 2006 #6
    Oh no, I stopped looking at the problem for a while. But I decided to come back to it, and I had posted another question, but in the meantime I figured out the answer so I edited my post to the one you quoted. No worries :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?