Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Angular Acceleration of a rotating wheel

1. Oct 27, 2006 #1
    A rotating wheel requires 2.98 s to rotate through 37.0 revolutions. Its angular speed at the end of the 2.98 s interval is 98.8 rad/s. What is the constant angular acceleration of the wheel?

First I tried acceleration = (98.8rad/s - 0 rad/s) / 2.98 s - 0s = 33.15, which was incorrect.

Then I tried acceleration = (98.8rad/sec)^2 - (0 rad/sec)^2 = 2 * acceleration * 74pi and solving for acceleration i got 20.99 but thats incorrect too. I got 74 pi by converting 37 rev.

Any clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If all the information given in the problem is correct, the wheel is not starting from rest.

4. Oct 27, 2006 #3
    Huh, I guess I never considered that. That's frustrating :\ Thanks for your help though :)

5. Nov 2, 2006 #4
    never mind, i got it :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  6. Nov 2, 2006 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought you had it when you posted your previous reply. Sorry if you were expecting something more.

7. Nov 2, 2006 #6
    Oh no, I stopped looking at the problem for a while. But I decided to come back to it, and I had posted another question, but in the meantime I figured out the answer so I edited my post to the one you quoted. No worries :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook