1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Angular, linear velocity & centripetal acceleration

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A washing machine's two spin cycles are 328 rev/min and 542 rev/min. The diameter of the drum is 0.43 m.
    What is the ratio of the centripetal accelerations for the fast and slow spin cycles?

2. Relevant equations
    ac=v2/r
    linear velocity: v=rw (w is really omega)
    angular velocity= change in theta/change in time

I think that's all I need.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I changed the angular velocities from rev/min to rad/s. So, 328 rev/min=34 rad/s, and 542 rev/min=57 rad/s.
    I solved for the slow cycle's acceleration first. Since it is in linear velocity instead of angular velocity, i solved for the linear velocities for the slow and fast cycle.
    v=rw -> vs=(.215 m)(34 rad/s) -> 7.31 m/s
    v=rw -> vf=(.215 m)(57 rad/s) -> 12.3 m/s
    Then I plugged these into the centripetal acceleration formula for the slow and fast cycles.
    acs=v2/r -> a=(7.31 m/s)(7.31 m/s)/(.215 m) -> 248.54 m/s2
    acf=v2/r -> a=(12.3 m/s)(12.3 m/s)/(.215 m) -> 703.67 m/s2

There may not be anything wrong with it, but those numbers for the acceleration seem soooooo big. It's easy physics, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. >:(

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes they are correct. Both those speeds are quite high, so the centripetal accelerations are high as well.

4. Apr 1, 2010 #3
    Oh.
    I did this wrong the first time I did it, and I forgot what the answers were (yay spring break)
    Thanks. :P

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook