1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular + Linear Velocity problem

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    I kno this is pretty simple and the answer is probably staring me in the face, but i'm lost for some reason. Our teacher gave back our tests so i have the answer, but I'm not sure how to get it. I havent had a chance to speak to my teacher yet, but i intend to tomorrow if no one helps me first.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bowling ball [(mass = 7 kg)(radius = .50m)] rolls without slipping down a 3m high ramp. Starting from rest, find the velocity at the bottom of the ramp.

2. Relevant equations

Bowling ball inertia = I = (2/5)(M)(R)^2 = (0.7)

3. The attempt at a solution

I used conservation of angular momentum

(1/2)(I-initial)(omega-initial)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-initial) = (1/2)(I-final)(omega-final)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-final)

after calculating i got omega-final = 24 (actually 24.25, but he instructed us to round to the nearest whole number)
    i converted that to v = 12

which is wrong

i was supposed to set it up as:

(1/2)(I-initial)(omega-initial)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-initial) = (1/2)(I-final)(omega-final)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-final) + (1/2)m(v)[itex]^{2}[/itex]

and v = 6.5 is the answer

i was under the impression we were supposed to find the angular velocity at the bottom of the ramp and convert to linear velocity

i'm not sure how he got v = 6.5

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In your solution, you ignored the translational motion of the ball. The ball ends up with both rotational speed and translational speed. Hint: How are those two speeds related for rolling without slipping?

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    are you referring to v = rω?

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

6. Nov 29, 2011 #5
    so would it look like:

(1/2)(I-initial)(omega-initial)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-initial) = (1/2)(I-final)(omega-final)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-final) + (1/2)m(r)[itex]^{2}[/itex](omega-final)[itex]^{2}[/itex]

just worked it out and got the right answer
    i actually set it up like that last night and worked it out but just now realized i made a simple error
    hate when that happens

thanks doc!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook