1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum difficult problem

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The rear view of a space capsule that is rotating about its longitudinal axis is 3rev/min. The occupants want to stop this rotation. They have small jets mounted tangentially at a distance 1.2 m from the axis, as indicated, and can eject 8 g/s of gas from each jet with a nozzle velocity of 591 m/s. The moment of inertia of the ship about its axis (assumed to be constant is 2200 kg m2.

2. Relevant equations

This is the final equation my professor gave: t= [L (initial)]/ ((m/t)*R*V)^2

Also, L(initial) = Iw

3. The attempt at a solution

Hello. My computer generated homework gave 10 questions. I was able to solve 9 of them, but this one seems IMPOSSIBLE! lol :) I know that this has been solved in Physics forums in April 2007, but it doesn't makes sense to me :(

I tried to understand what professor told me as to HOW to solve this problem. But I just didn't get it. Even worse, I tried plugging in the answer and I didn't get it right lol.

I know that

w = 3rev/s * 2pi * 1/60 = pi/10 rad/sec

L(initial) is Iw = 2200*

m/t = 8g/s = 0.008 kg/s

R=1.2m

V = 591 m/s

But when I plug in the equations I just get the WRONG answer :(

I THINK that the problem is with the part that I plug in 0.008 kg/s for the part in the equation where I am supposed to plug in m/t.

Please helP!!!

Thanks! :)

Arshad

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The dimensions don't seem to work out in this formula!
    Using the linear/rotational analogy, if you start with the impulse formula
    Ft = p
    τt = L
    t = L/τ = L/(m/t*R*v)
    you get the same formula but without the square.

4. Nov 4, 2009 #3
    I get answer t = 122 secs using the equation you give, which is wrong. The equation my professor gave is wrong too, for I get answet t = about 21 seconds.

I got some help, and I got the right answer. We first find Torque. Divide the torque by Inertia to get angular acceleration. Using that we plug it into the equation 0=wi+0.5At^2, where A = angular acceleration.

My answer turned out to be t = 60.something and the program thingy accepted it! :)

THanks for your help though, very much! :)

5. Nov 4, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Thanks for the report! Always nice to see how it turns out. But I'm puzzled because "0=wi+0.5At^2" is not a valid formula - should be 0 = wi+αt, which should give the same answer as our
    t = L/τ = L/(m/t*R*v)
    You don't say how many rockets there are, but if there are 2, we get
    t = I*ω/(m/t*R*v)
    = 2200*3(2π)/60 all divided by (2*.008*1.2*591)
    = 60.9 seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook