1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum - Find angular velocity of a hanging bar after a collision

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    I think I've gotten it but figured it would be best to get a second opinion because I feel like I made a few leaps of faith. I sincerely appreciate your time. <3

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1.0 kilogram object is moving horizontally with a velocity of 10m/s, when it makes a collision with the lower end of a bar that is hanging vertically at rest. For the system of the bar and object, linear momentum is not conserved but kinetic energy is. The bar, of length l = 1.2m and mass m = 3kg, is pivoted about its upper end. Immediately after the collision, the object moves with speed v at an angle (theta) relative to its original direction. The bar swings freely, reaching a maximum angle of 90 degrees with respect to the vertical. The moment of inertia for the bar about the pivot is [itex] I = (ml^2) / 3 [/itex]. Ignore all friction.

Synopsis:
    1.0kg object moving horizontally at 10m/s.
    1.2m, 3kg bar [itex] I = (ml^2) / 3 [/itex] suspended about its upper end.
    Object hits the bottom of the bar in a glancing collision.
    Bar then pivots up to 90 degrees with respect to the vertical.
    Object then deflects to an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] below the horizontal at a velocity v.

Diagram:
    29QQA.jpg

Questions:
    2. Relevant equations
    The all-important: [itex]F = ma [/itex]
    Conservation of angular momentum: [itex]L_i = L_f[/itex]
    Conservation of kinetic energy: [itex]K_o = K_ol + K_b[/itex]
    Angular momentum around a point: [itex]L = mvr sin(\theta)[/itex]
    [itex]\tau = F(lever arm) = I\alpha [/itex]
    [itex]L = I\omega[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Enclosed in quotes to make it easier to see.
    Thanks so much!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I haven't checked all your numbers, but your method seems good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook