1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum, L_x eigenvalues and eigenfunctions

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1
    This is a very simple question, but I can't seem to get it right, there's probably something silly that I'm missing here. Here's the question:

I have A system in the l=1 state, and I have L_z|\ket{lm} = \hbar m\ket{lm}and L^2 \ket{lm} = \hbar^2 l(l+1)\ket{lm}

I need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of L_x and L_y using the eigenvectors of L_z and L^2, assuming they are \ket{1,0}, \ket{1,-1} and \ket{1,1}.

I use that L_x = \half (L_{+}+L_{-}) and get this:

L_x(A\ket{1,0}+B\ket{1,1}+C{\ket{1,-1}) = \half \hbar \sqrt{2}( A\ket{1,-1}+A\ket{1,1} + B\ket{1,0} + C\ket{1,0})

Ignoring the \half \hbar \sqrt{2} constant, I equate and get:
    A = B, A=C, and B+C=A. Which is obviously wrong... so what am I missing here? I feel like I'm missing a 1/2 or 2 somewhere....

Thanks in advance, this question has been annoying me for ages...
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2006 #2
    You're missing one very important thing: L^2 can have simultaneous eigenstates with one and only one component of angular momentum. Finding eigenvectors of Lx and Ly in this basis is a waste of time.

To help see this, remember what you're doing when you're equating sides. You assume that each of the vectors are orthogonal. Be a bit more rigorous about it, apply <1,1| to both sides. You get L1*B = constants*A (assuming Lx |1,1> = L1|1,1>). You can repeat the same procedure for the others, and if worked out I believe you'd get equations similar to the ones you found above, for which no non-trivial solutions exist. The assumption that those vectors are eigenvectors is flawed, and thus so are the steps after it.

Incidentally, where did you get that [itex] \sqrt{2} [/itex] on the right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?