1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can the operator Exp[-I*Pi*L_x/h] be faced as parity?

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem originally asks to evaluate ##exp(\frac{-i\pi L_x}{h})## in a ket |l,m>. So I am wondering if I can treat the operator as a parity operator or if I really have to expand that exponential, maybe in function of ##L_+## and ##L_-##.

2. The attempt at a solution
    If ##exp(\frac{-i\pi L_x}{h})## operates in |y,z> it returns |-y,-z>. Then, if it operates in |l,m> it would just change the ket's signal.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, proving it for general ##l## might be a tedious task. But if you are only interested in the final answer, think of the fact that ##\exp \left( -\frac{i\pi L_x}{\hbar} \right)## is a rotation operator around ##x## axis through an angle of ##\pi## radian. Now ##|l,m \rangle ## is a state which points in the ##z## direction because it is an eigenstate of ##L_z##. Applying ##\exp \left(- \frac{i\pi L_x}{\hbar} \right)## to this state is the same as rotating this state around ##x## axis through an angle of ##\pi## radian.

4. Nov 8, 2015 #3
    By expanding ##\exp \left( - \frac{i \pi L_x}{\hbar}\right) |l,m\rangle## into a Cartesian basis like ##\int \exp \left( - \frac{i \pi L_x}{\hbar}\right)| x,y,x \rangle \langle x,y,z |l,m\rangle \mathrm{dV}## it would be possible to use the operator in the xyz ket so that it could be simplified into this: ##\int | x,y,x \rangle \langle x,-y,-z |l,m\rangle \mathrm{dV}##. With that said, is there a way to write this answer with the ##|l,m \rangle## ket alone?

5. Nov 8, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you insist that way, you can start from the fact that ##\langle x,y,z | l,m\rangle = Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)## with ##Y_{lm}## being spherical harmonics defined as
    $$
    Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi) = \sqrt{\frac{(l-m)!}{(l+m)!}} P_l^m(\cos \theta) e^{i m\phi}
    $$
    Now first find out how it will affect ##Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)## when you make the changes ##y \rightarrow -y## and ##z \rightarrow -z##.

6. Nov 8, 2015 #5
    I'll try that, thank you

7. Nov 8, 2015 #6
    Just to verify the answer, should it be ##(-1)^{(l+m)} |l,m \rangle##?

8. Nov 8, 2015 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope, it's not. It seems that to arrive at that equation you changed ##\theta## only, keeping ##\phi## unchanged.

9. Nov 8, 2015 #8
    How about this? If it isn't, I'll need help.

##(-1)^l \frac{(l-m)!}{(l+m)!}|l,-m \rangle##

10. Nov 8, 2015 #9

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Almost there.
    So, following the aforementioned changes, you should get (I hope)
    $$
    \cos \theta \rightarrow -\cos \theta\\
    \phi \rightarrow 2\pi -\phi
    $$
    Applying these changes to the ##Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)## yields
    $$
    Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi) = \sqrt{\frac{(l-m)!}{(l+m)!}} P_l^m(\cos \theta) e^{i m\phi} \rightarrow \sqrt{\frac{(l-m)!}{(l+m)!}} P_l^m(-\cos \theta) e^{-i m\phi}
    $$
    Using the parity property of the associated Legendre polynomial ##P_l^m(-x) = (-1)^{l+m} P_l^m(x)## and ##P_l^{-m}(x) = (-1)^m \frac{(l-m)!}{(l+m)!} P_l^m(x)##, the right hand side of the above arrow sign can be manipulated to give
    $$
    (-1)^l \frac{(l+m)!}{(l-m)!} \sqrt{\frac{(l-m)!}{(l+m)!}} P_l^{-m}(\cos \theta) e^{-i m\phi}
    $$
    Now try to manipulate this further such that it becomes proportional to ##Y_{l,-m}(\theta,\phi)##.

11. Nov 8, 2015 #10
    But that is what I did

12. Nov 8, 2015 #11

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's different from yours. Look what happen when you simplify those fractions with factorial signs.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  13. Nov 8, 2015 #12
    So just ##(-1)^l |l,-m \rangle ## then

14. Nov 8, 2015 #13

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it should be that.

15. Nov 8, 2015 #14
    Wow, that was a hell of a evaluation. Thank you for helping me out!

16. Nov 8, 2015 #15

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can further check if this is true by applying the second ##\exp \left( \frac{i \pi L_x}{\hbar} \right)## to the last result. You should easily see that it will end up with ##(-1)^{2l} |l,m \rangle##, due to the fact that a double ##\exp \left( \frac{i \pi L_x}{\hbar} \right)##'s is equivalent to a full rotation about x axis. However, for ##l## equal to an half-odd integer, a full rotation results in a negative sign, but this is indeed a characteristic of half-odd integer angular momenta.

17. Nov 8, 2015 #16
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted