1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum of a thin spherical shell

1. Feb 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin spherical shell of radius R = 0.50 m and mass 15 kg rotates about the z-axis through its center and parallel to its axis. When the angular velocity is 5.0 rad/s, its angular momentum (in kg ⋅ m2/s) is approximately:

a . 15
    b. 9.0
    c. 12
    d. 19
    e. 25

2. Relevant equations

L = r x mv
    L = Iω
    v = rω
    Moment of inertia of thin spherical shell = (2/3)mr^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I seem to be getting different answer using the equations above and I can't figure out why.

v = 0.5 * 5 = 2.5
    L = (0.5)(15)(2.5) = 18.75

and

L = (5)(2/3)(15)(0.5)^2 = 12.5

The answer is the first one (18.75) but where did I go wrong with the using L = Iω?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi slr77,

You didn't go wrong using the correct formula for the moment of inertia of a thin spherical shell. The correct answer to the problem is 12.5 kg m2 s-1.

L = r x mv applies to a point mass. The shell is not a point mass, and can't be treated as such as most of it is distributed at distances other than r from the axis of rotation.

4. Feb 14, 2015 #3
    Hey gneill,

The solution listed d (19) as the correct answer so I guess it's mistaken.

This has uncovered some confusion about this topic though. I thought a thin-walled spherical shell had all it's mass distributed a distance r from the center. A thin-walled how cylinder has I = MR^2 (which means that all it's mass distributed at a distance r from the axis of rotation, right? I could use r x mv in that case because then Iω = rmv). How does a spherical shell differ from this? Or am I thinking of thin-walled how cylinders incorrectly too?

edit: Ok, I think I understand. The axis of rotation of the sphere passes through the middle so there are points on the wall of the sphere that are less than r away from the axis of rotation. In the cases of the hollow cylinder, every point on the wall is r away from the axis of rotation

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  5. Feb 14, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Correct. But the center is not an axis of rotation. The axis may pass through the center.
    Right. All the mass is located at distance R from the axis of rotation.
    No, cylinder good, shell bad :smile:

Sketch the profile of a cylindrical shell and its axis of rotation. Draw perpendiculars from the axis to the shell. Are they all the same length? How about the case of a spherical shell?

6. Feb 14, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answer is correct, theirs isn't.
    A spherical shell and a right circular cylinder are fundamentally different geometries. Don't try to extrapolate from one to the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted