Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Angular momentum quantum number and angle

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What are the possible values for the magnetic quantum number ml for an electron whose orbital quantum number is l = 4? What are the allowed values of the angles between L and the zaxis in this case?

2. Relevant equations

2.php?z=100&eq=tan\alpha%20%3D%20\frac{d}{m%20v^2}\mu_z%20\frac{\partial%20B_z}{\partial%20z}%20.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

Is Ml equal to four for the first part? Because the angular momentum quantum number is equal to four?

I have no idea for the second part. I don't have the gradient of the magnetic field of the z-component and don't have any distance or velocity values.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How exactly is this equation relevant?:confused: The problem is in regard to an electron orbiting a nucleus, not an electron moving through an inhomogeneous magnetic field as in the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

Open your textbook up and read the section on hydrogen like atoms and angular momentum. The allowed values of [itex]m_l[/itex] for any given value of [itex]l[/itex] will be clearly stated in your text.

If [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\mathbf{L}[/itex] and the z-axis, then [itex]L_z\equiv \mathbf{L}\cdot \textbf{k}=|\mathbf{L}|\cos\theta[/tex]. So, in terms of operators, you would expect

[tex]\hat{L_z}^2=\hat{L}^2\cos^2\hat{\theta}[/tex]

Where the hat is to denote that we are talking about operators here. (i.e. [tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex] is an operator whose value upon measurement corresponds to the angle between [itex]\mathbf{L}[/itex] and the z-axis)

What are the allowed values when you measure [tex]\hat{L_z}^2[/itex] for an electron in the state [itex]l=4[/itex]?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook