1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbital/Spin angular momentum + magnetic quantum numbers

1. Nov 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A single electron atom has the outer electron in a 4f1 excited state. Write down the orbital and spin angular momentum quantum numbers and the associated magnetic quantum numbers for this state.

2. Relevant equations
    I don't think there is any relevant equations. I think it comes purely from the fact it's in a 4f1 excited state.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I originally thought it was l=3 for the orbital angular momentum quantum number, as I read that's what it is for "f". However, I am thrown off by the fact it's 4f1.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The subscript "1" should be the ## J ## value, but ## J=1 ## is not possible. I believe the 4 is the principal quantum number ## n ##. Meanwhile you can always say ## s=1/2 ##. They are also asking what values ## m_l ## and ## m_s ## can have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted