1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Position, Velocity, and Accelration.

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

During a certain period of time, the angular position of a swinging door is described by θ = 5.00 + 10.0t + 2.00t2, where θ is in radians and t is in seconds. Determine the angular position, angular speed, and angular acceleration of the door (a) at t = 0 and (b) at t = 3.00 s.

2. Relevant equations

ω = dθ / dt

α = dω / dt

3. The attempt at a solution

a) θ = 5.00
    ω = 5 / 0
    α = dω / 0

This just doesn't make sense, you cannot divide by 0.

But the other formulas, have either both ω and α or t cancels everything out.

This is supposed to be a simple problem of instantaneous angular speed and acceleration, how am I over complicating this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The expressions dθ/dt and dω/dt are not fractions. They are derivatives. Have you studied calculus? Do you know what differentiation is (the process of taking a derivative)? I'm asking because your attempted solution suggests that you don't.

d/dt is a symbol which, when applied to function, means, "take the derivative of that function with respect to time."

In this case, the function is θ (or θ(t), to show the argument explicitly), and we write:

dθ/dt = d/dt (5.00 + 10.0t + 2.00t2 )

Now, knowing how to actually calculate the derivative of this function of time requires knowing differential calculus.

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    Thanks, I don't know why I didn't see that.... I stayed up way to late working on homework I actually enjoy doing.

ω = dθ/dt = d/dt (5.00 + 10.0t + 2.00t2 ) = 10

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook