Angular velocity and accelerating problem

In summary, angular velocity and accelerating problems are closely related concepts in mechanics. Angular velocity refers to the rate of change of angular displacement over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In the context of a rotating object, angular velocity and acceleration are dependent on the object's moment of inertia and the torque applied to it. These concepts are important in understanding the motion of objects in circular or rotational motion and are commonly used in engineering and physics applications.
reaperkid

Homework Statement

A disk accelerates with a constant angular acceleration of 2.0 rad/s2. If the initial angular velocity is 5.0 rad/s, what is the angular velocity of the disk after rotating though an angle of 11.0 radians?

a = 2 rad/s^2
vo = 5 rad/s
Theta = 11 rad

Homework Equations

a = v^2/r
v = change in theta/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very confused on these angular problems. Everyone always tells me that they're just like the linear ones but I disagree. There's something big that I'm missing.

I tried a couple things since I couldn't find a good formula to use.

I tried.. 5 + 1/2(2)(11^2) which is wayy too high I'm thinking.

Then I tried 5 + 2*11 = 27 rad/s.. which is also wrong.

Clearly I'm very confused, can anyone help me on the right track?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
LowlyPion said:
Keep in mind that the rotational equations are basically the analog of the linear kinematic equations.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/rotq.html#drot

Thank you very much! I got it now, I guess I should have searched harder for a good equation.

My fault.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or moves in a circular motion. It is usually represented by the symbol "ω" and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of the circle.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rate of rotation or circular motion, while linear velocity refers to the rate of change in an object's position along a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

4. How does angular velocity relate to acceleration?

Angular velocity and acceleration are directly related. When an object is accelerating in a circular motion, its angular velocity will also change. This change in angular velocity is known as angular acceleration and is measured in radians per second squared.

5. What are some real-world examples of angular velocity and accelerating problems?

Some real-world examples of angular velocity and accelerating problems include the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the movement of a spinning top, and the motion of a planet around the sun. These all involve circular motion and changing angular velocity and acceleration.