Angular Velocity Dynamics (Easy?)

In summary, the problem involves a spinning shaft with a given mass and radius, and a board providing frictional force. To solve for the time it takes for the shaft to stop rotating, the shaft is treated as a solid cylinder with its inertia calculated using the formula 1/2mr^2. Using the concept of net torque, the time is found to be 2.094 seconds.
Stingarov
A 73.9 kg shaft with a radius of 8.9 cm is spinning at a rate of 364.5 rpm. If a board leans against the outside providing a frictional force of 59.92 N, how long will it take for the shaft to stop rotating?

Answer says 2.094 s.

Problem I have is that my Inertia table doesn't list shaft inertia or anything. Unsure how to go about starting this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Treat the shaft as a cylinder--see if that works.

So Inertia = Solid cylinder = 1/2mr squared.
I = .5 * 73.9 * .089 sq
I = .293

Do I use the Net Torque = 0 from here? I'm still pretty lost for some reason from here.

Alright I figured it out surprisingly by conceptual thinking.

Force: I/r
1) 1/2mr = 3.28855
2) * angular velocity = 3.28855 * 38.17 radians per second

3) 125.52 / F2 = time
= 2.094

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

While linear velocity measures the rate at which an object moves in a straight line, angular velocity measures the rate at which an object rotates. Linear velocity is measured in units of distance over time, while angular velocity is measured in units of angle over time.

3. What factors affect angular velocity?

The main factors that affect angular velocity are the angular acceleration of the object and the moment of inertia, which is a measure of the object's resistance to rotational motion. Other factors that can affect angular velocity include external forces and the shape and size of the object.

4. What is the formula for calculating angular velocity?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in the angle of rotation, and Δt is the change in time. This formula can also be expressed as ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency of rotation.

5. How is angular velocity used in real-world applications?

Angular velocity is used in many real-world applications, including engineering, physics, and sports. It is important in designing and analyzing rotating machinery, such as engines and turbines. In sports, it is used to measure the speed and trajectory of a thrown or hit object, such as a baseball or golf ball. It is also used in navigation systems, such as gyroscopes, to determine orientation and maintain stability.