Annealing Al/Si contact increases resistance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making an ohmic contact with p-type doped silicon using aluminum. Annealing is used to improve the contact, but in some cases, it can actually increase the resistance of the contact or the silicon. This could be due to diffusion of aluminum into the silicon, which can act as a donor and increase the resistance. Other factors such as contamination may also be causing the issue.
Hyo X
I'm trying to make an ohmic contact with p-type doped silicon. Using Aluminum.
Under what condition of an Al/Si contact would annealing increase the resistance of the contact? or the silicon?
two regions are defined using photolithography. A brief exposure to buffered oxide etch (6:1 H2O to HF) is followed by placing the sample in a vacuum chamber and, several hours later, with aluminum depostion.
Initially, 2-pt probe measurements from two separated aluminum regions were somewhat non-linear.
After annealing the sample, for 1 hr, the resistance increased by ~3 orders of magnitude!
I would have thought that annealing would decrease the resistance and increase the linearity of the i-v curve.
What is the problem? is there contamination or some other issue? thanks for your help or opinion.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hyo X said:
I'm trying to make an ohmic contact with p-type doped silicon. Using Aluminum.
Under what condition of an Al/Si contact would annealing increase the resistance of the contact? or the silicon?
two regions are defined using photolithography. A brief exposure to buffered oxide etch (6:1 H2O to HF) is followed by placing the sample in a vacuum chamber and, several hours later, with aluminum depostion.
Initially, 2-pt probe measurements from two separated aluminum regions were somewhat non-linear.
After annealing the sample, for 1 hr, the resistance increased by ~3 orders of magnitude!
I would have thought that annealing would decrease the resistance and increase the linearity of the i-v curve.
What is the problem? is there contamination or some other issue? thanks for your help or opinion.
You could have diffusion of aluminium into the silicon. Aluminium would be a donor in silicon.

1. How does annealing affect the resistance of Al/Si contacts?

Annealing is a process of heating and cooling a material to modify its properties. In the case of Al/Si contacts, annealing can increase the resistance due to the formation of intermetallic compounds at the interface.

2. Why is the resistance of Al/Si contacts important?

The resistance of Al/Si contacts is an important factor in electronic devices, as it can affect the performance and reliability of the device. High resistance can lead to voltage drops and decreased efficiency.

3. What are the main factors that contribute to the increase in resistance after annealing?

The increase in resistance after annealing is mainly due to the diffusion of Al into the Si substrate and the formation of intermetallic compounds at the interface. These compounds have higher resistance compared to the original Al/Si contact.

4. Is there a way to prevent the increase in resistance after annealing?

Yes, there are ways to minimize the increase in resistance after annealing. Choosing the right annealing temperature, time, and atmosphere can help control the formation of intermetallic compounds and reduce the diffusion of Al into the Si substrate.

5. How can the increase in resistance of Al/Si contacts be measured?

The increase in resistance can be measured using techniques such as four-point probe, transmission line method, or capacitance-voltage measurements. These methods can provide accurate measurements of the resistance and help identify the effects of annealing on Al/Si contacts.