Annihilation creation operators in case of half H.oscillator

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of creation and destruction operators in the half harmonic oscillator and whether they were valid for calculating the expectation values of x and p. The violation of the Ehrenfest theorem was also brought up, and it was suggested to use the Heisenberg picture or Hermite polynomials to verify it. The conversation ended with a request to start a new thread for further discussion on the topic.
SUVAM ROY
I'm trying to check if Ehrenfest theorem is satisfied for this wave function,
|Y>=(1/sqrt(2))*(|1>+|3>),
where |1> and |3> are the ground and 1st exited state wave functions of a half harmonic oscillator. When I'm calculating the expectation values of x and p using annihilation creation operators and trying to check the Ehrenfest theorem I'm getting
m*(time derivative of <x>)=2*<p>
which violates the Ehrenfest theorem. So, my question is whether annihilation creation operators are valid in case of a half harmonic oscillator.

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}## are destruction and creation operators for the full harmonic oscillator, then the destruction and creation operators for the half harmonic oscillator are
$$A=aa$$
$$A^{\dagger}=a^{\dagger}a^{\dagger}$$
The operators ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}## are not defined (do not exist) in the space of states of the half harmonic oscillator.

Likes SUVAM ROY
SUVAM ROY said:
a half harmonic oscillator.
What is this?

A. Neumaier said:
What is this?
Come on ! you can google it too !

BvU said:
Come on ! you can google it too !
There are two natural boundary conditions one can place at ##x=0##. It is odd that http://www.physicspages.com/2012/08/18/half-harmonic-oscillator/ only describes the odd half with Dirichlet boundary conditions; the even half with Neumann boundary conditions is not even mentioned.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby
Demystifier said:
If ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}## are destruction and creation operators for the full harmonic oscillator, then the destruction and creation operators for the half harmonic oscillator are
$$A=aa$$
The operators ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}## are not defined (do not exist) in the space of states of the half harmonic oscillator.
Thanks a lot.

A. Neumaier said:
There are two natural boundary conditions one can place at ##x=0##. It is odd that http://www.physicspages.com/2012/08/18/half-harmonic-oscillator/ only describes the odd half with Dirichlet boundary conditions; the even half with Neumann boundary conditions is not even mentioned.
This is the standard practice in QM (see e.g. a textbook treatment of infinite well potential) to require that ##\psi## (not ##\psi'##) vanishes at the points where the potential ##V## is infinite. The textbooks also give a physical reason for that. I has to do with the fact energy should be finite and that Schrodinger equation has ##\psi## (and ##\psi''##) but not ##\psi'##.

More generally, Neumann boundary conditions in physics usually correspond to ends that can oscillate freely. It should be intuitively clear that ends at infinite ##V## are far from being "free". Think, e.g., of a guitar string.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
$$A=aa$$
Sorry, but I'm still getting the same $$2<p>$$result when I replaced ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}## by ##A## and ##A^{\dagger}## in expression for x and p and did the calculations. Why this "2" is coming in the expression? Is Ehrenfest theorem also not defined in this case?

SUVAM ROY said:
Sorry, but I'm still getting the same $$2<p>$$result when I replaced ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}## by ##A## and ##A^{\dagger}## in expression for x and p and did the calculations. Why this "2" is coming in the expression? Is Ehrenfest theorem also not defined in this case?
I did not say that such a replacement is legitimate. You should not express ##x## and ##p## in terms of creation/destruction operators. Ehrenfest theorem is still valid, but it is more subtle.

Demystifier said:
I did not say that such a replacement is legitimate. You should not express ##x## and ##p## in terms of creation/destruction operators. Ehrenfest theorem is still valid, but it is more subtle.
So, I have to take the Hermite polynomials and calculate expectation values in integration method? Or, is there any other easier method to do this? So that I can verify Ehrenfest theorem.

SUVAM ROY said:
So, I have to take the Hermite polynomials and calculate expectation values in integration method? Or, is there any other easier method to do this? So that I can verify Ehrenfest theorem.
The approach with the Heisenberg picture should be the easiest. The direct calculation with Hermite polynomials should work too, but make sure to first renormalize them because now they are defined only for x>0.

Demystifier said:
The approach with the Heisenberg picture should be the easiest
I'll try that. Thanks again.

Hello everyone :biggrin:
As I'm starting to study exactly the topic of the half oscillator for my PhD research, may I post my future replies/ideas/considerations here or would you rather have me start a brand new thread?

Thanks and have a nice day!
Frank

p.s.: the retro smileys! :headbang::oldbiggrin::oldmad::oldruck:

Hm, I'd rather start a new thread.

Likes jim mcnamara
Please start a new thread.

1. What are annihilation creation operators in the case of a half harmonic oscillator?

Annihilation and creation operators are mathematical tools used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of systems with discrete energy levels. In the case of a half harmonic oscillator, the energy levels are only allowed to take on half-integer values. The annihilation operator decreases the energy level by one unit, while the creation operator increases it by one unit.

2. How are annihilation creation operators related to the Hamiltonian of a half harmonic oscillator?

The Hamiltonian of a half harmonic oscillator can be expressed in terms of annihilation and creation operators. The Hamiltonian operator represents the total energy of the system, and the annihilation and creation operators allow us to manipulate and study the energy levels of the system.

3. What is the commutation relationship between annihilation creation operators in the case of a half harmonic oscillator?

The commutation relationship between annihilation and creation operators in the case of a half harmonic oscillator is given by [a, a†] = 1, where a is the annihilation operator and a† is the creation operator. This means that the operators do not commute, and their order matters when performing operations on quantum states.

4. How do annihilation creation operators act on quantum states in the case of a half harmonic oscillator?

The annihilation and creation operators act on quantum states by changing the number of quanta, or energy units, in the system. The annihilation operator removes one quanta from the state, while the creation operator adds one quanta to the state. These operators are crucial for understanding the dynamics of quantum systems.

5. What are some applications of annihilation creation operators in the field of quantum mechanics?

Annihilation and creation operators have many applications in quantum mechanics, including describing the dynamics of quantum systems, calculating transition probabilities, and understanding the behavior of particles in quantum field theory. These operators are also essential in quantum computing, where they are used to manipulate and measure quantum states.