Annihilation of electron and positron

In summary, the question asks for the average energy of two gamma photons produced when a positron with kinetic energy 2.2MeV collides with an electron at rest and annihilates. The solution involves including the rest masses in the calculation and dividing by 2 to find the average energy. The original poster also mentions another question they need help with, which can be found at the provided link.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

A positron with kinetic energy 2.2MeV collides with an electron at rest, and annihilate each other.
a. Calculate the average energy of the two gamma photons produced as a result of annihilation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would infact calculate the energy in the left hand side including the rest masses.. isn't it.. So it would be (0.511 x 2) + 2.2 = 3.222 MeV .. But this doesn't seem the answer.. Any help guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ehabmozart! :smile:
ehabmozart said:
A positron with kinetic energy 2.2MeV collides with an electron at rest, and annihilate each other.
a. Calculate the average energy of the two gamma photons produced as a result of annihilation

I would infact calculate the energy in the left hand side including the rest masses.. isn't it.. So it would be (0.511 x 2) + 2.2 = 3.222 MeV .. But this doesn't seem the answer.. Any help guys?

maybe they want you to divide by 2, for the average?

Thanks.. I guess this gave me the answer... Dude, i will owe u if u just solve the question in this link.. Drivin' me crazy and no replies till now
Here is the link "https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=612956"

1. What is the process of annihilation of an electron and a positron?

The annihilation of an electron and a positron is a process where the two particles collide and their masses are converted into energy in the form of photons.

2. How does the annihilation of an electron and a positron occur?

The annihilation of an electron and a positron occurs when they come into contact with each other and their opposite charges cancel out, resulting in the conversion of their masses into energy.

3. What happens to the energy produced during the annihilation of an electron and a positron?

The energy produced during the annihilation of an electron and a positron is released in the form of photons, which can then be detected and measured.

4. Can the annihilation of an electron and a positron occur spontaneously?

No, the annihilation of an electron and a positron can only occur when they come into contact with each other, as they are both stable particles and do not decay on their own.

5. What are some applications of electron-positron annihilation in science?

Electron-positron annihilation is used in particle accelerators to study subatomic particles and in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans to detect and diagnose diseases.