Relativistic electrons and positrons

In summary, the question asks to find the minimum kinetic energy of an electron and positron, each with rest mass energy of 511keV, colliding to create a proton and antiproton with rest mass energy of 938MeV. Using the relativistic energy equation, the solution is found to be 937.5MeV. However, this implies that the electron would be moving at 60 times the speed of light, which is not possible. Correcting the calculation using the full relativistic energy equation, the speed of the electron is actually 0.9999998c.
mangojuice14

Homework Statement

The question states that an electron and positron, each with rest mass energy of 511keV collide head on and create a proton and antiproton each with rest mass energy 938MeV. The question asks us to find the minimum kinetic energy of the electron and positron.

Homework Equations

Relativistic energy: E = T + mc2 where T is the kinetic energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the problem with the relativistic energy equations by setting the proton's and antiproton's final state at rest
T(electron) +mec2 = mpc2
and obtained the solution that the electron and positron each would need a kinetic energy of 937.5MeV.

I checked the answer and it's correct but the energy implies that the electron would be moving at 60 times light speed. Does this mean the problem is purely theoretically and is not physically possible or am I missing something. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mangojuice14 said:
Welcome to PF!

I checked the answer and it's correct but the energy implies that the electron would be moving at 60 times light speed.
Can you show your calculation for this? Remember, the formula for kinetic energy, T, in relativity is not (1/2)mv2.
You should be able to show that an electron with any finite amount of energy (no matter how large) would still move at less than the speed of light.

Likes mangojuice14
TSny said:
Can you show your calculation for this? Remember, the formula for kinetic energy, T, in relativity is not (1/2)mv2.
You should be able to show that an electron with any finite amount of energy (no matter how large) would still move at less than the speed of light.

Oh right! I was actually using the small velocity approximation...woops. Using $$E = \frac {mc^2} {\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}$$ where E would be 938MeV, I now obtain a speed of 0.9999998c. Thanks!

1. What are relativistic electrons and positrons?

Relativistic electrons and positrons are subatomic particles that have a high velocity and energy, close to the speed of light. They are both forms of leptons, which are fundamental particles that do not experience strong interactions.

2. How are relativistic electrons and positrons produced?

Relativistic electrons and positrons can be produced through a process called pair production, where energy is converted into equal amounts of matter and antimatter particles. They can also be produced through high-energy collisions, such as those in particle accelerators.

3. What is the significance of relativistic electrons and positrons in a scientific context?

Relativistic electrons and positrons are important in understanding the behavior of matter and energy at high speeds and energies. They also play a crucial role in many areas of physics, including particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology.

4. How are relativistic electrons and positrons different from non-relativistic particles?

Relativistic electrons and positrons have a higher energy and velocity compared to non-relativistic particles. This leads to different behaviors and interactions, as well as unique effects such as time dilation and length contraction.

5. Can relativistic electrons and positrons be used in practical applications?

Yes, relativistic electrons and positrons have practical applications in fields such as medical imaging, radiation therapy, and materials science. They can also be used in research and development of new technologies, such as particle accelerators and high-energy physics experiments.