1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another angular velocity problem

1. May 27, 2009 #1
    A Ferris wheel makes two rotations per minute. The radius of the Ferris wheel is 25 m.

a) Determine the angular velocity in rad/s
    b) A ride lasts 4 min. How far will a rider travel in 4 min?

My Work:

a) C = 2Pi(25 m) = 50Pi m
    50Pi m / 25 m = 2Pi rad

2 rotations/min x 2Pi = 4Pi rad/min

Therefore the angular velocity is Pi / 15 rad/s

b) 4 x 4Pi = 16Pi
    16Pi = a / 25 m
    a = 25(16Pi)
    a = 400Pi
    a = 1256.6 m

I believe I am correct but I am hoping someone could check over my approach to the problem as my text was not very clear at all and I have tried to figure this out mainly on my own.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why did you calculate this? Surely you knew from the start that there are [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians in any circle!

Yes, although I think I would have said "one rotation in 30 seconds is [itex]2\pi/30= \pi/15[/itex] radians per second", this is fine.

You had already calcuated in (a) (where it wasn't necessary!) that the circumference of the wheel is [itex]50\pi[/itex] meters. Now you calculate it again! In 4 minutes you will have made 8 rotations: [itex]8(50\pi)= 400\pi[/itex] m just as you say. I think I would leave it as [itex]400\pi m[/itex] and not change to an approximate answer.

You've done some unnecessary work but you have the correct answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook