Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Cat Jumps Out Of The Bush Bag

1. May 28, 2008 #1
    Scott McClellan former Bush press secretary has a new book out; "WHAT HAPPENED"

According to this CNN broadcast it covers much of what many of us have already accepted about the deception in the build up to the war in Iraq. Considering that McClellan had come with Bush all the way from Texas it is a bit surprising.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/28/mcclellan.book/#cnnSTCText

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/28/mcclellan.book/#cnnSTCVideo

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2008 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, you think? :rofl:

4. May 28, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An excerpt in from MSNBC -

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24857858/

5. May 28, 2008 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I never cared that much for Bush and Rove, but the performance of Cheney, Rumsfeld, Powell, and Rice was incredibly disappointing to me. I get frustrated at some of the absurd explanations for their actions that get posted, but I have to admit that I find it impossible to understand what happened to these folks after 9/11.

Just a very disappointing performance.

6. May 28, 2008 #5
    Iraq was on Cheney's agenda even before 911.

I am not only disappointed in how the lead up to the war was conducted. I am more than a bit peeved that they saw fit to shred the constitution.

When the executive branch was allowed to take absolute control and throw checks and balances out of the window we lost a big chunk of our American heritage.

There are a few more books that need to be written.

7. May 28, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I'm disappointed with McClellan's performance. He was on the inside when he could have made a difference, and instead of refusing to be the lying creep who was the face of the administration, he played along and parroted the administration's lies. Now, he desperately needs to cash in with the book, and cast himself as a victim so that he can land another job. His book is not a "tell-all" - it is a re-hash of everything we've known all along about the Bush administration. The Bushies will act all indignant and shocked at the "revelations", but there is really nothing damaging to the administration - public opinion on the administration is about as low as it can get already. The only thing preventing lower polls is a fraction of voters that is even more radical and neo-con than Bush/Cheney and another fraction that refuses to think and lock-steps with jingoisms and sound-bites.

8. May 28, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ari Fleisher claims that McClellen didn't really write the book even though McClellan personally told him that there was no ghost writer. The White House and friends of the Bush admin are shocked and can't understand how he could say these things. "Why didn't he say anything about this while he was the press secretary?" "We never heard him say anything like this before." "This doesn't sound like Scott."

I have a theory: He got burned and realized that there is no honor among thieves and yesmen, so to pay them back he'll tell the truth and make some bucks.

9. May 28, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have read the excerpt (link is in #3 in this thread), and I liked the writing style. Very crisp. I was sure he hired a ghost writer. If he didn't, kudos to him for being a pretty good writer.

And a raspberry to him for keeping quiet for so long.

10. May 28, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you see Fleisher on CNN today? Based on his statements, the anchor commented that he makes it sound like an alien has inhabited McClellen's body, to which Fleisher said, "well..."

I guess the truth is alien? :biggrin:

My favorite part is that hate radio and the like are all but calling him a liberal! Same ole same ole: Anyone who speaks out against his majesty is an evil liberal - even long-time companions of Bush; even a Texan!

11. May 28, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Altogether otherworldly :wink: !

12. May 28, 2008 #11
    There are also professional editors who will take your manuscript and clean it up for you for a price.

13. May 28, 2008 #12
    The conservative radio hosts around here are all getting behind McClellen from what I can tell. Haven't heard what Rush has to say yet though.

14. May 28, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting! One comment that I heard reported was that "he sounds like a liberal blogger".

Are the conservative radio hosts that you refer to now pro or anti-Bush? I know that Limbaugh has finally realized that he was wrong about Bush [as he is about most things].

15. May 28, 2008 #14
    Most of the hosts on the local AM talk station KFI are conservative. It's been a long time since they have stuck up for Bush though they will definitely lambast liberal criticism of Bush that they don't agree with. So far all I have heard about the book has been positive and "John & Ken", probably their most rabid hosts, even say they don't credit the idea that McClellen is just disgruntled.

Edit: And this is Southern California. Most conservatives here are more like "Conservative Lite". You don't get many KKK supporters around here.

16. May 28, 2008 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know who said that, don't you?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  17. May 28, 2008 #16

Tsu

Gold Member

Yeah. Poor unimaginative Rove. Was that the only insult he could come up with? :rofl:

18. May 28, 2008 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...and he thought he made such a bon mot!

19. May 28, 2008 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For what it's worth, Scotty no longer retains an ounce of credibility in my eyes, and anything that he says, whether or not it is in concord with my own opinions on the matter, is tainted by default. If he's got photocopies of official documents, I'll look; but if he wants me to listen to his opinions and recollections, ain't no way that's happening.

20. May 29, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haha, no, I thought it came from either a conservative blog or hate radio.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  21. May 29, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To me it seems very unlikely that a long-time loyal conservative and Bush admirer would turn on his own administration unless he had a real story to tell. It sounds like he effectively declared war on some of the most powerful people in the US, and he will pay dearly for it; and he knows it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?