Another Center of Mass problem What in the world

In summary, the problem involves finding the y coordinate of the center of mass of a sulfur dioxide molecule, given that a sulfur atom is twice as massive as an oxygen atom. The center of mass is a point that represents the average location for the total mass of a system, and it can be expressed mathematically as Ycm = m1y1 + m2Y2 + m3Y3/ m1+m2+m3. The sulfur atom, being at the origin, has a y-coordinate of zero.
shaka23h
Chapter 7, Problem 56

The drawing shows a sulfur dioxide molecule. It consists of two oxygen atoms and a sulfur atom. A sulfur atom is twice as massive as an oxygen atom. Using this information and the data procvided in the drawing, find the y coordinate of the center of mass of the sulfur dioxide molecule. Express your answer in nanometers. (1 nm = 10-9 m).

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8702/ch07p56ob2.gif

I really need a hint on how to start this problem. I think I need to find one of the sides of the triangle?

Hate to bother u so much Doc but I really want to get these problems down.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: Find the definition of the center of mass.

The center of mass is a point that represents teh average location for the total mass of a system.

shaka23h said:
The center of mass is a point that represents teh average location for the total mass of a system.

OK, how would you express that mathematically?

(Hint: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/cm.html" )

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I understand the equation Ycm = m1y1 + m2Y2 + m3Y3/ m1+m2+m3.

but I dont' know how I'd go around applying it to this problem.

Thanks for the tips though

shaka23h said:
Well I understand the equation Ycm = m1y1 + m2Y2 + m3Y3/ m1+m2+m3.

but I dont' know how I'd go around applying it to this problem.

Thanks for the tips though

If you understand the equation, then you should know how to apply it to the problem.

I can find the length of Y of the oxygen with Trig yes, but what is Y for sulfur?

Thanks

It should be obvious that's zero

What is a center of mass problem in physics?

A center of mass problem in physics involves determining the point at which the mass of an object or system can be considered to be concentrated, for the purpose of analyzing its motion and interactions with other objects.

What are some examples of center of mass problems?

Some examples of center of mass problems include calculating the center of mass for a system of particles, determining the center of mass for a rigid body, and analyzing the motion of objects in orbit around a common center of mass.

Why are center of mass problems important in physics?

Center of mass problems are important in physics because they allow us to simplify complex systems and analyze their motion using basic principles of mechanics. They also help us understand the behavior of objects in terms of their mass and distribution of mass.

How do you solve a center of mass problem?

To solve a center of mass problem, you need to identify the individual masses and their positions within the system, and then use the formula for calculating the center of mass: xcm = (∑mixi) / (∑mi), where xcm is the position of the center of mass, mi is the mass of each individual component, and xi is the position of each component relative to an arbitrary reference point.

How do center of mass problems relate to real-world situations?

Center of mass problems have many real-world applications, such as designing structures that can maintain their balance, predicting the motion of objects in space, and understanding the stability of vehicles and aircraft. They are also important in sports, such as determining the optimal position for a diver to perform a difficult dive.