Crystal frames problem, what actually asking?

• Thread starter frostysh
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The problem from Sterway, Jewett book.

Serway_Jewett_problem_Mech_Crystal1.jpg

Serway_Jewett_problem_Mech_Crystal2.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in the book is something like 0,141 nm, as I remembered but I cannot achieve such answer coz' I cannot understand what actually asking, d is looks like a distance between two centers of the atomic spheres, but I don't think that it can be 0,141 nm, probably due to my English language, so can somebody clarify for little bit, what the hell I need to find in this problem. I am stucked for now, and my brain will start to melt soon. And imho - this book have too much of unnecessary problem, 70 problem for the first chapter is too much... Thanx.

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In the same way as the distance between vertical or horizontal planes is L, the distance between the 45 degree planes is ##{1\over 2}\sqrt 2 ## L. Easiest seen in a side view:
upload_2017-5-5_16-15-39.png

In the same way as the distance between vertical or horizontal planes is L, the distance between the 45 degree planes is ##{1\over 2}\sqrt 2 ## L. Easiest seen in a side view:
View attachment 198771
Or this picture in the book is distracting, or frostysh is just too dull :), anyway I have solved the problem on my new cool self-made school-board, and now I am very happy ^^. Thanx again, Solved.