Another interesting number theory tidbit

1. Hello,

I was browsing a set of number theory problems, and I came across this one:

"Prove that the equation a2+b2=c2+3 has infinitely many solutions in integers."

Now, I found out that c must be odd and a and b must be even. So, for some integer n, c=2n+1, so c2+3=4n2+4n+4=4[n2+n+1]. If n is of the form k2-1, then the triple of integers{2n,2[itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex],2n+1]} satisfies the equation. Since there are infinitely such n, the equation holds for integers infinitely often.

I thought this was cool.

Mathguy

2. jcsd
  3. haruspex

haruspex 14,059
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Looks like the same approach could be used for many constants. So the question becomes, for what k does a2+b2=c2+k have infinitely many solutions?

4. micromass

micromass 19,187
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That is cool!!! Nice find!!

A no-brainer as follow-up question is of course: are these all the solutions?? I don't know the answer myself, but it's interesting to find out.

5. That is an interesting question.

The case when k=0 has infinitely many solutions of which are all of the form [itex]a=d(p^2-q^2)[/itex], [itex]b=2dpq[/itex], [itex]c=d(p^2+q^2)[/itex] for integer p,q and an arbitrary constant d. The case k=3 makes the right hand side the square of 2n+2 when c=2n+1, and hence the case k=0 implies the case k=3. Applying the case when k=0 that I specified above, I obtain that [itex]a=d(p^2-q^2)[/itex], [itex]b=2dpq[/itex], [itex]c=d(p^2+q^2)-1[/itex], which are, I believe, all of the solutions. However, note that if a particular selection of p and q yields c as even, then this will not hold. In particular, we need the above specified condition that [itex]n=k^2-1[/itex], so [itex]c=2k^2-1[/itex].

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. Hm, I realize my approach works for k congruent to 3(mod4), but beyond that, I don't know.

7. Haha, Thanks! I'm inclined to say that these are all the solutions, but I do not know. By the way, I could write the solutions in terms of k rather than n to make it neater. (i.e., if k is an integer, then, {2k2-2,2k,2k2-1} is an integer solution to the equation)

8. haruspex

haruspex 14,059
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Choose any t > 0.
    a = k + 2t + 1 (so a and k have opposite parity)
    b = (a2 - k - 1)/2
    c = b + 1
    c2 - b2 = 2b+1 = a2 - k

9. Brilliant!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?