Another interesting number theory tidbit

In summary, the conversation discusses a number theory problem and the discovery of a solution that has infinitely many solutions in integers. It is found that c must be odd and a and b must be even, and for some integer n, c=2n+1. It is also discussed that there are infinitely many solutions for the equation a2+b2=c2+k and the question arises of whether these are all the solutions. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of writing the solutions in terms of k and the discovery of another solution using t > 0.
Mathguy15
Hello,

I was browsing a set of number theory problems, and I came across this one:

"Prove that the equation a2+b2=c2+3 has infinitely many solutions in integers."

Now, I found out that c must be odd and a and b must be even. So, for some integer n, c=2n+1, so c2+3=4n2+4n+4=4[n2+n+1]. If n is of the form k2-1, then the triple of integers{2n,2[itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex],2n+1]} satisfies the equation. Since there are infinitely such n, the equation holds for integers infinitely often.

I thought this was cool.

Mathguy

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like the same approach could be used for many constants. So the question becomes, for what k does a2+b2=c2+k have infinitely many solutions?

That is cool! Nice find!

A no-brainer as follow-up question is of course: are these all the solutions?? I don't know the answer myself, but it's interesting to find out.

micromass said:
That is cool! Nice find!

A no-brainer as follow-up question is of course: are these all the solutions?? I don't know the answer myself, but it's interesting to find out.

That is an interesting question.

The case when k=0 has infinitely many solutions of which are all of the form [itex]a=d(p^2-q^2)[/itex], [itex]b=2dpq[/itex], [itex]c=d(p^2+q^2)[/itex] for integer p,q and an arbitrary constant d. The case k=3 makes the right hand side the square of 2n+2 when c=2n+1, and hence the case k=0 implies the case k=3. Applying the case when k=0 that I specified above, I obtain that [itex]a=d(p^2-q^2)[/itex], [itex]b=2dpq[/itex], [itex]c=d(p^2+q^2)-1[/itex], which are, I believe, all of the solutions. However, note that if a particular selection of p and q yields c as even, then this will not hold. In particular, we need the above specified condition that [itex]n=k^2-1[/itex], so [itex]c=2k^2-1[/itex].

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Looks like the same approach could be used for many constants. So the question becomes, for what k does a2+b2=c2+k have infinitely many solutions?

Hm, I realize my approach works for k congruent to 3(mod4), but beyond that, I don't know.

micromass said:
That is cool! Nice find!

Haha, Thanks! I'm inclined to say that these are all the solutions, but I do not know. By the way, I could write the solutions in terms of k rather than n to make it neater. (i.e., if k is an integer, then, {2k2-2,2k,2k2-1} is an integer solution to the equation)

Mathguy15 said:
Hm, I realize my approach works for k congruent to 3(mod4), but beyond that, I don't know.
Choose any t > 0.
a = k + 2t + 1 (so a and k have opposite parity)
b = (a2 - k - 1)/2
c = b + 1
c2 - b2 = 2b+1 = a2 - k

haruspex said:
Choose any t > 0.
a = k + 2t + 1 (so a and k have opposite parity)
b = (a2 - k - 1)/2
c = b + 1
c2 - b2 = 2b+1 = a2 - k

Brilliant!

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of integers. It involves both pure mathematical concepts and real-world applications, such as cryptography and coding theory.

2. What is the significance of interesting number theory tidbits?

Interesting number theory tidbits provide insights and connections between different mathematical concepts, often revealing patterns and relationships that can lead to further discoveries and advancements in the field.

3. How do number theory tidbits contribute to scientific research?

Number theory tidbits can lead to new mathematical algorithms and techniques that have applications in various fields, such as computer science, physics, and engineering. They also help scientists understand the fundamental properties of numbers and their patterns.

4. Can anyone understand number theory tidbits, or is it only for experts?

Number theory tidbits can be understood by anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics. However, some concepts may be more challenging to grasp without a higher level of mathematical knowledge and training.

5. What are some examples of interesting number theory tidbits?

Examples of interesting number theory tidbits include the Goldbach Conjecture, which states that every even number greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers, and the Fibonacci sequence, which appears in many natural phenomena and has connections to the golden ratio. Other examples include perfect numbers, Mersenne primes, and the Riemann Hypothesis.