(another)interesting number theory problem

In summary: Norwegian!In summary, given that a and b are real numbers and c_n = a^n - b^n contains only integers, it can be proven that a and b are also integers, assuming a≠b. This is done by showing that a+b is rational, and then using the assumption that a and b are distinct to reach the conclusion that they are both integers.
Mathguy15
a and b are real numbers such that the sequence{c}n=1--->{infinity} defined by c_n=a^n-b^n contains only integers. Prove that a and b are integers.

Mathguy

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathguy15 said:
a and b are real numbers such that the sequence{c}n=1--->{infinity}
defined by c_n=a^n-b^n contains only integers. Prove that a and b are integers.

Mathguy

[itex]c_n \ = \ a^n - b^n[/itex]

What about any real numbers a and b, such that a = b, so that [itex]c_n = 0 ?[/itex]
Here, and b don't have to be integers.

Do I have your problem understood, and/or

are there more restrictions on a and b?

I assume you mean a≠b.

Since a-b and a2-b2=(a-b)(a+b) are both integers, a+b is rational, and we get a and b are rational.

We can write b=m/t and a=(m+kt)/t with (m,t)=1. Assume t≠1, then there is an integer s such that k is divisible by ts but not by ts+1.

Let p be a prime larger than t and 2s+2.

cp=ap-bp=(pktmp-1+k2t2(...))/tp

Both the second term and the denominator are divisible by t2s+2, while the first term is not, so the fraction is not an integer. It follows that t=1 and we are done.

Norwegian said:
a+b is rational, and we get a and b are rational.

Sorry, Norwegian, but why? For example, sqrt(2) and 3-sqrt(2) are both irrational, and they add up to 3.

Dodo said:
Sorry, Norwegian, but why? For example, sqrt(2) and 3-sqrt(2) are both irrational, and they add up to 3.

Both a+b and a-b are rational. So (a+b)+(a-b)=2a is rational.

Ahhh, thanks, Micromass.

By the way, this is a beautiful proof, and I'm still trying to figure out how did you come to it, Norwegian.

I presume you started from both ends. At the finishing end, you needed a^n-b^n to be a rational but not an integer. At the starting end, the way you expressed a=b+k suggests the use of the binomial theorem to evaluate powers of b+k (or powers of the numerator of it). If a and b are rational, then a^n and b^n (with a=b+k) were going to end up having a common denominator, so you concentrated in making the numerator of a^n-b^n a non-integer. Then divisibility / factorization issues enter; though I still don't see in which order did (1) finding the largest power of t dividing k, (2) coprimality conditions, and (3) finding a prime p that does not divide most of the things around, in which order these three came to be, and what suggested them.

I always find instructive to see the genesis of proofs; it adds to the inventory of ways of constructing new ones.

Last edited:
checkitagain said:
[itex]c_n \ = \ a^n - b^n[/itex]

What about any real numbers a and b, such that a = b, so that [itex]c_n = 0 ?[/itex]
Here, and b don't have to be integers.

Do I have your problem understood, and/or

are there more restrictions on a and b?

Oh sorry! Yes, a and b had to be distinct.

Norwegian said:
I assume you mean a≠b.

Since a-b and a2-b2=(a-b)(a+b) are both integers, a+b is rational, and we get a and b are rational.

We can write b=m/t and a=(m+kt)/t with (m,t)=1. Assume t≠1, then there is an integer s such that k is divisible by ts but not by ts+1.

Let p be a prime larger than t and 2s+2.

cp=ap-bp=(pktmp-1+k2t2(...))/tp

Both the second term and the denominator are divisible by t2s+2, while the first term is not, so the fraction is not an integer. It follows that t=1 and we are done.

That is an interesting proof, and I will take the time to digest it later! Thanks

1. What is the Riemann Hypothesis and why is it important?

The Riemann Hypothesis is a conjecture in number theory that states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the line Re(s) = 1/2. It is important because it has far-reaching implications in number theory, including the distribution of prime numbers. It has been one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics for over 150 years.

2. How are prime numbers related to cryptography?

Prime numbers are essential in modern cryptography, specifically in asymmetric encryption algorithms such as RSA. This is because it is computationally difficult to factorize large numbers into their prime factors, making it a secure way to encrypt information.

3. What is the Goldbach Conjecture and has it been proven?

The Goldbach Conjecture states that every even integer greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers. It has not been proven yet, but it has been verified for all integers up to 4 x 10^18. It remains one of the oldest and most famous unsolved problems in number theory.

4. What is the Collatz Conjecture and why is it difficult to prove?

The Collatz Conjecture, also known as the 3n + 1 problem, states that starting from any positive integer, if you repeatedly apply the rules n/2 (if n is even) or 3n + 1 (if n is odd), the sequence will eventually reach 1. Despite its simple formulation, it has been an open problem since 1937 and has been verified for all integers up to 2^60.

5. How are perfect numbers related to Mersenne primes?

A perfect number is a positive integer that is equal to the sum of its proper divisors (i.e. divisors excluding itself). Interestingly, it has been proven that all even perfect numbers are related to Mersenne primes, which are prime numbers of the form 2^n - 1. However, it is not known if there are any odd perfect numbers.