1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Merry Go Round Question

1. Jun 6, 2007 #1
    A disk-shaped merry-go-round of radius 2.63 m and mass 155 kg rotates freely with an angular speed of 0.615 rev/s. A 59.4 kg person running tangential to the rim of the merry-go-round at 3.99 m/s jumps onto its rim and holds on. Before jumping on the merry-go-round, the person was moving in the same direction as the merry-go-round's rim.

(b) Calculate the initial and final kinetic energies for this system.
    Ki =
    Kf =

So I am stuck on Kf, but for Ki i thought it should just be the sum of the kinetic energy of the man plus the kinetic energy of the disk

I set up my equation like this:

0.5mv^2(KE of person) + 0.5Iw^2(KE of disk) =
    0.5(59.4)(3.99^2) + (0.5)(0.5(155)(2.63^2))(0.615^2)

I solved for this and did not get the correct answer which means I have probably set up the equation wrong...can anyone help me out with this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2007 #2
    not sure if this is correct or not but i think you have to use angular momentum and then combine it with the energy formula. and solve for the unknown. so u have to use two equations on this one. whats the answer ur suppose to get?
  4. Jun 7, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Again, use correct units for angular speed: radians/sec.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?