Angular Momentum Question concerning a Merry Go Round

In summary: Yes. That is the final angular velocity. So you know three things:...In summary, if you apply a force to the rim of a spinning steel disk, this torque increases the disk's angular momentum. If you then jump on the disk with your mass, the disk's rate of spin will decrease.
WilkinsD

Homework Statement

If the steel disk has mass of 200 kg and a radius of 2 meters you can make it spin by applying a force to the rim. This torque increases the angular momentum of the disk. Suppose the force is 20 Newtons. How long would you have to apply it to get the wheel spinning 5 times a minute?

What would happen to the rate of spin if you then jumped on the rim of the wheel with your mass of 60 kg?

Homework Equations

I=1/2mr2

I1*w0/(i1+i2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]I think I have all the variables figured out I am just having an issue solving the questions.

I have the w=0.1rad/s , I =400 kg*m^2, t=40 N*m.
For the second problem I got the w2=0.07rad/s which would mean the merry go rounds rate of spin would decrease by .03 rad/s when the mass of 60kg jumps on.

(400)(0.1)/(320+240) = 40 / 560 =0.07rad/s
Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
WilkinsD said:
I have the w=0.1rad/s
What does this represent? Hopefully not 5 revs/minute.

TomHart said:
What does this represent? Hopefully not 5 revs/minute.
No I believe that is my angular momentum before the 60kg person jumps on.

WilkinsD said:
No I believe that is my angular momentum before the 60kg person jumps on.
It has units of angular velocity though.

TomHart said:
Maybe that is where I have messed up. Most of the problems my teacher provided were not setup in this manner.

You probably want to convert the angular velocity of 5 rev/minute to rad/s.

TomHart said:

The first time I solved it I got these as my answers but wasn't for sure if they were correct.

1. 300s

2. The acceleration would then be reduced to 0.0625 rad/s^2.

TomHart said:
You probably want to convert the angular velocity of 5 rev/minute to rad/s.
So 5 * 2pi? or 31.42 radians ?

It's 31.42 radians/minute. Convert that to rad/s.

TomHart said:
It's 31.42 radians/minute. Convert that to rad/s.
Alright so that gives me .52 rad/s

Yes, so then work with that to calculate the time it takes to go from ω=0 to ω=0.52 rad/s. That will be based on the angular acceleration you calculated from your torque, inertia, etc.

TomHart said:
Yes, so then work with that to calculate the time it takes to go from ω=0 to ω=0.52 rad/s. That will be based on the angular acceleration you calculated from your torque, inertia, etc.
I must be slow today lol
How long would you have to apply it to get the wheel spinning 5 times a minute? I can't wrap my head around the equation I need to solve to get how long I would have to apply the force to get it spinning 5 times a minute.

What equations do you have to work with? If you remember the linear equations, it is very easy to figure out the angular motion equations.
Just substitute θ for x, ω for v, α for a, Γ for F, I for m. I think that covers it all.

TomHart said:
What equations do you have to work with? If you remember the linear equations, it is very easy to figure out the angular motion equations.
Just substitute θ for x, ω for v, α for a, Γ for F, I for m. I think that covers it all.
Yeah but what formula solves for how long to apply the force to get the wheel to turn 5 times a minute ?

WilkinsD said:
Yeah but what formula solves for how long to apply the force to get the wheel to turn 5 times a minute ?
I didn't memorize any equation that does that. But I know how to get angular acceleration from torque and moment of inertia.

TomHart said:
I didn't memorize any equation that does that. But I know how to get angular acceleration from torque and moment of inertia.
So would that just be my torque which is 40 N * m and my I which is 400 kg*m^2

40=400a so that gives me my a=0.1 rad/s ?

Yes, but to be more accurate:
α = 0.1 rad/s^2

in which equation used uses α?

5 times per minute would be 12 seconds per turn. so it should be .083/sec.

PhysicsA1 said:
in which equation used uses α?
Torque=I*a

WilkinsD said:

I figured that out exactly the same. So once we figure this out would be multiply the .083 through to find our final answer

WilkinsD said:
You calculated number of revolutions per second, but you need radians/second.

TomHart said:
You calculated number of revolutions per second, but you need radians/second.
So that just brings me back to the 0.522 radians per second lol

WilkinsD said:
So that just brings me back to the 0.522 radians per second lol
Yes. That is the final angular velocity. So you know three things: initial angular velocity (0 rad/s), the final angular velocity (0.52 rad/s) and the angular acceleration (0.1 rad/s^2). From that you can calculate the time. So find an equation that has those three variables and time and you should be able to solve that equation for time.

TomHart said:
Yes. That is the final angular velocity. So you know three things: initial angular velocity (0 rad/s), the final angular velocity (0.52 rad/s) and the angular acceleration (0.1 rad/s^2). From that you can calculate the time. So find an equation that has those three variables and time and you should be able to solve that equation for time.

so I found
angular_acceleration_formula_2.png
this was for sure not provided by my teacher. That would be 0.1 = .52/t which would make t = 5.2 seconds correct?

I think that's right.

TomHart said:
I think that's right.
Oops had 5.25 seconds should be 5.2 seconds

WilkinsD said:
Oops had 5.25 seconds should be 5.2 seconds

So with the addition of the 60kg would that then make the time be 6.75 rad/s instead of 5.2 rad/sec, which would make the rate of spin be slower!?
right?

TomHart said:
I think that's right.

So with the addition of the 60kg would that then make the time be 6.75 rad/s instead of 5.2 rad/sec, which would make the rate of spin be slower!?
right?

6.75 rad/s is a faster rotation than 5.2 rad/s. Since angular momentum has to be conserved, I would expect that increasing the moment of inertia would decrease the angular velocity. You should show your work to make it easier for people to help.

One thing that will really pay off in the long run in working physics problems is to be very deliberate in writing out complete, accurate equations and showing your step-by-step work process.

You know, I would do well to heed the above advice myself. It is good advice.

TomHart said:
6.75 rad/s is a faster rotation than 5.2 rad/s. Since angular momentum has to be conserved, I would expect that increasing the moment of inertia would decrease the angular velocity. You should show your work to make it easier for people to help.

One thing that will really pay off in the long run in working physics problems is to be very deliberate in writing out complete, accurate equations and showing your step-by-step work process.

You know, I would do well to heed the above advice myself. It is good advice.

I= 520 kg*m (Due to taking the initial mass (200) and adding 60 to it due to us jumping on the merry go round) so...I=(1/2)(260)(2)^2
40=520a SO a=.077
SO .077=.55/t; Therefore T=6.75 sec.

Where did i go wrong? or misunderstand??

Last edited:
PhysicsA1 said:
I= 520 kg*m (Due to taking the initial mass (200) and adding 60
Do you have the shape of a flat disk?
PhysicsA1 said:
40=520a
I do not understand this step. What calculation is this?
What law are you applying?

haruspex said:
Are you the shape of a flat disk?

yes. its a playground merry go round

PhysicsA1 said:
yes. its a playground merry go round
That's the merry-go-round, not you, the 60kg passenger.

haruspex said:
That's the merry-go-round, not you, the 60kg passenger.

Here are the questions again.

If the steel disk has mass of 200 kg and a radius of 2 meters you can make it spin by applying a force to the rim. This torque increases the angular momentum of the disk. Suppose the force is 20 Newtons. How long would you have to apply it to get the wheel spinning 5 times a minute?

What would happen to the rate of spin if you then jumped on the rim of the wheel with your mass of 60 kg?