1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Planetary Mechanics Question

1. May 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A NASA spaceship is orbiting the moon at an altitude of 111 km. How long does it take the ship to make one orbit around the moon?

This was a question on the test I had today, just wondering if I'm out to lunch or not. So he gave us all the info on the moon on an overhead. I used the mass of the moon 7.36*10^22 kg and the radius 1,737,000m added to the altitude.

2. Relevant equations
    I used the equation mp=4π²R³/GT²

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I plugged in 7.36*10^22=4π²(1848000)³/6.67*10¯¹¹(T²) and solved for t.

I got with sig figs 7120 seconds or something like that on the test. His numbers might have been slightly different. Did I do this completely wrong?

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2007 #2
    I'm not familiar with the equation that you are using, that is to say that it must be derived from a couple of other equations, but it could be correct.

I would have used potential energy to find the angular velocity, and then the period. Just approximating in my mind, I think you are right or close to right.

4. May 30, 2007 #3
    Alright well thank you for your help. We have not learned about potential energy yet but if you think my answer is in the ballmark, that makes me worry a lot less!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?